Don't Snub Ron and Charles

BRASS TACKS

By Henry E. Smith

What do President Reagan and Prince Charles have in common? They are both probably going to Harvard next year but with no prospect of ever getting a degree. Both men have been invited to speak at one of three convocations in next year's gala 350th anniversary celebration. Both heads of state will speak on one of the first two days. But our very own Ronald Reagan has been denied top billing--Prince Charles has already accepted the number one spot--and both have been denied degrees in an alleged attempt to prevent Reagan from being honored.

Aside from creating a media event, Prince Charles' arrival will probably blind most who would even consider questioning a snub to Reagan. With all the hoopla only a 3,000 man press corps can create, the problem of setting decent precedents for future anniversaries will be lost. Some would say Reagan is lucky to have the privilege of honoring us and shouldn't expect us to return the favor. But as the American head of state he deserves a degree as much as Prince Charles. Both should get honorary Ph.D's, when, or if, they come.

The first mistake on the planners' part was not to make our nation's No. 1 the University's also. The rationale for giving Prince Charles the limelight might well have been the same as the no-degree ruling: the attempt to avert protest from general dislike of Reagan. But the University must take the Harvard Community for avid readers of People, if it thinks it can wow the crowds into forgetting the symbolism of a historic moment.

At the nation's oldest university's anniversary, it should still be a privilege to have the President kick off the celebration. Such has been done before. This is the time to rise above politics, even the politics of educational funding, and honor Reagan as President. Moreover, no tradition dictates that British royalty, or even the heads of Harvard's mother institution, Cambridge University--one of Prince Charles' qualifications--should come at these occasions. The Prince was actually this first-choice-school's second choice, Prince Philip having already refused.

BECAUSE THEY ARE both important symbols of their respective countries, both Reagan and Prince Charles deserve a degree. It is amazing that one university can attract two such world figures to one celebration. All types of people, including Benny Goodman and the King of Spain have been so honored. One need not be Nobel-prize material but only have done something noteworthy. Becoming a President or a prince qualifies. In their non-political capacities as heads of state, they both merit top honors. At other such convocations degrees have been doled out and should be at this one too.

It would be unfortunate if Prince Charles were to be used as a palliative to stem protest against Reagan. Certainly no second American Revolution will start over the reestablishment of the British Royalty or even the most noteworthy local figure. The University is privileged to get Prince Charles and maybe Lady Diana (the question, it seems, on everyone's mind), but our own must come first. Who's even asking whether Nancy's coming? Be fair.

The mistakes made so far for this event are not especially grave, but they are unfortunate. Since past convocations have taken many forms (with and without degrees, large and small, etc.), no time-worn traditions are being violated. So at least planners have not broken with tradition just to snub Reagan. Their actions have only been petty. But worse is the lack of precedent for the future. Here was Harvard's chance to set a precedent of having Presidents at birthday celebrations. That alumni and others really care about recognition from the government is amply proven by the enormous efforts to get a Harvard 350th anniversary postage stamp. If Reagan is put off by his second class invitation, Harvard will have lost an excellent opportunity.