40 Students Take Part in National Math Contest

While most students only find the derivative of a logarithm when a grade is at stake, more than 40 Harvard undergraduates competed in a six hour exam this weekend for the title of America's top mathematicians.

Trying to better last year's third place finish, the Harvard math whizzes joined approximately 2000 college students Saturday from 350 colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada as part of the 46th annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.

Only three students are chosen each year to represent Harvard's Department of Mathematics, which last year won $1500 and placed behind the University of California and Washington University in St. Louis.

Glenn D. Ellison '87 of Currier House, Douglas S. Jungreis '87 of North House, and Michael Reid '88 of Winthrop House finished highest last year and were chosen to represent the Harvard Mathematics Department this year.

The nationwide exam, sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America, tests individual students' abilities to solve problems in algebra, geometry, and calculus at an advanced level. The test is divided into two three hour sections, and consists of 12 questions requiring written proofs.

The highest scoring students also compete individually for prizes of up to $500, but most students said they participate to challenge themselves. Charles M. Kodner '89, who is enrolled in Math 22a, a high level calculus course, said the test was comparable to "jumping off a very high cliff."

"I got fairly well blown away, but I did it," the Wigglesworth Hall resident said.

Matthews Hall resident Amy Rabb '89, who says that the exam was "the most difficult I have ever seen in my life," added that she will compete again next year.

Jungreis, a team member who finished 29th last year, said that scoring well on the exam helps in admission to graduate schools.

Participants said the results of the exam will be available in March.