Pipe Swinger, Theives Plague Harvard Campus

Police Blotter

By Richard L. Meyer

Harvard Police arrested a man swinging a 42-inch long pipe in the Law School's Harkness Common Thursday afternoon.

Two women reported seeing the man identified as Gary A Scott, age 21, of 407 Shawmut Avenue, Boston Police confiscated the pipe and arrested him for being disorderly, a misdemeanor.

Police officials said yesterday Scott had been warned for trespassing on a previous occasion. He could face six months probation for the charge.

Among other crimes reported to the Harvard Police during the week ending Thursday, March 14.

* An unidentified person broke into a Volkswagon Rabbit parked in the Indoor Athletic Building (IAB) parking lot and stole several items from the car between 11 p.m. Thursday and 1 a.m. Friday.

The burglar made off with a suitcase, a backpack, a sports bag and two briefcases containing credit cards, bank books, and checkbooks. The victims, two females and a male, were at the Boathouse Bar at the time of the crime.

Police said there were jimmy marks on the driver's side and windows of the car and cited the possibility that a "slim jim"--a device similar to the instrument used to open a car when the keys are locked inside--was used in the break in.

There are no suspects in the case.

* An unidentified person stole a $280 leather jacket from a desk in Gund Hall between 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and 9 a.m. Thursday.

* A person on the sixth floor of Quincy House threw a beer bottle and an orange at two Leverett House residents walking down DeWolfe St. early Monday morning.

The bottle did not hit anyone, but the orange struck one of the pedestrians, who was not injured. There are no suspects in the case.

* An unidentified person stole a wallet from a coat left unattended in Dillon Field House between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. The value of the wallet, which contained cash, credit cards, and an ID, is $30 Police have no suspects.

* An unidentified person stole a purse from a desk in Wadsworth House Tuesday morning. The purse and its contents, valued at $55, were found the next day in the basement of Boyston Hall.

There is one suspect in the case, who police described as a Black male, 5-ft, 10-in, 210-lbs., 25-to-30-years old, who was seen in the bunkers around Wadsworth House.

* An unidentified person stole a wallet from a jacket in an office in William James Hall between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tuesday. The wallet and its contents are worth $50 Police have no suspects in the case.

* An unidentified person stole a purse worth $40 from a desk in William James Hall between noon and 4 p.m. Tuesday There are no suspects in the case.

* An unidentified person stole a student's backpack left unattended on a table in Weld Hall last Saturday. The backpack contained books, $25 in cash, and the student's keys. The total value of the items is $85. Police have no suspects.

* An unidentified person stole a sweatshirt, keys, and a Harvard ID left unattended in the IAB weightroom last Saturday afternoon. Total value is $30. There are no suspects in the case.