Providence Shocks Boston College in Hockey East

The major hockey schools across the nation wrapped up their NCAA qualifying tournaments Saturday.

Headlining the field was number one RPI, which kept up its winning ways in the finals of the ECAC Tournament with a 3-1 victory over Harvard.

RPI will host Lake Superior State in the NCAA's and Harvard will travel to Minnesota-Duluth.

Cornell earned third place with a 5-3 triumph over Clarkson in a consolation game which was scoreless after two periods.

In the inaugural championship for Hockey East in the Providence Civic Center, Providence squeaked to a 2-1 victory over Boston College in double overtime.

Steve Rooney led the way for the Friars. Rooney scored both goals, including the game winner with 2:10 remaining in the second overtime. Providence, the fourth seed in the East, travels to East Lansing, Mich. to play Michigan State and the Eagles will host Minnesota.

Earlier in the evening in the consolation round, Boston University defeated Lowell, 6-4.

Led by a three-goal third period surge and Clark Donatelli's two tallies, the Terriers claimed third place in the tourney.

In the Western College Hockey Associate on playoffs in Duluth. Minnesota-Duluth defeated Minnesota by an easy 6-2 margin. UMD's victory in the two-game total-goals series was a much harder accomplishment.

Led by Matt Christianson's two goals and a stellar performance by goalie Rick Kosti, Duluth earned a spot in the NCAAs with a 10-8 total goal victory. Minnesota pulled out a tight 6-4 victory the first night.

Michigan State beat Lake Superior State in the Central College Hockey Association finals last week. NCAA Quarterfinal Hockey Pairings East Seeds  West Seeds 1. RPI  hosts  4. Lake Superior 2. Boston College  hosts  3. Minnesota 3. Harvard  at  2. Minnesota-Duluth 4. Providence  at  1. Michigan State