Batwomen Travel South for Spring Training

By Jessica Dorman

It will be a year of firsts for the Harvard women's softball team.

The squad has a new field, a new Ivy schedule, and a new spring break practice location--Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The Crimson heads South this morning for a week of workouts scrimmages, and sun. "This is the best thing we've ever done," says fourth-year Coach John Wentzell.

After practice on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, Harvard will play doubleheaders against the University of North Carolina-Wilmington and Coastal Carolina on Wednesday and Thursday.

"We've never had this kind of chance before," Wentzell says. "We'll be more ready than we've ever been."

In previous years, when the Crimson remained in Cambridge over break, the weather often prevented extensive outdoor practice, and there was little opportunity to scrimmage against other squads.

"One week is almost a quarter of the season for us," Wentzell says, "and if it takes you two weeks to get ready, there goes half your season."

If the Crimson can use its week of spring training to work out some of the early-season kinks, it should be able to improve on last year's 11-10 record.

The regular season will get under way on April 1--the day after the squad returns from its trip--with Harvard hosting Wheaton.

"We've got a brand new field this year," Wentzell noted. "We used to play in a patch of grass where the new outdoor track is. The [Athletic] Department stepped forward and made us a new field this year that will be the home of Harvard softball for years to come.

The diamond -- located on Soldiers Field--will get plenty of use that first week, with games scheduled against Boston University on Tuesday and M.I.T. on Thursday. Last year, the Crimson swept a doubleheader from the Terriers, 3-2 and 11-2, but lost to M.I.T., 5-0.

"Our schedule is tougher than ever," Wentzell says. "Each year more and more kids come up with experience and talent. I think that the talent has improved the quality of teams the throughout the league."

Harvard doesn't open its Ivy season until the weekend of April 13 14, when it hosts Penn Penn and Princeton The Tigers, two time defending league champions, are favorites to repeat again this year.

"Harvard, Brown Yale, and Penn are pretty even--we'll all battle each other in good games "We're in the hunt with the rest of them, and we could even steal one from Princeton."

The Ivy schedule has been altered this season--in previous years, the five varsity squads, as well as Cornell's and Dartmouth's club teams, would meet over one weekend for an Ivy tournament.

The Cantabs compiled a 2-4 record at last year's tournament.

This season, however, the squads will engage in round-robin doubleheaders, as Ivy action will be spread evenly throughout the season. "Now we'll have a couple of big weekends," Wentzell says. "Twelve of our 25 games will be against Ivy teams, and that's the way it should be."

Following the Penn-Princeton weekend, the Crimson will host Cornell on April 20, travel to Brown and Yale on April 27-28, and return home to face Dartmouth on May 4.

Leading the squad will be senior Co-Captains Joan Cunningham and Ann Wilson, both four-year varsity players. Unfortunately for Harvard, both are currently suffering from frustrating injuries.

Cunningham's shoulder capsule has deteriorated, making her unable to throw or play first base as she did last year. She will probably see action as the designated hitter.

Wilson, last year's right fielder on the All-Ivy first team, underwent arthroscopic surgery on her knees in the fall and has not yet fully regained her mobility.

"They've both given a lot to Harvard softball," Wentzell says. "They're our leaders on the field, and now they may not even be on the field. It's tough for them to have to face these obstacles."

Pitching duties will be shared by junior Gerri Rubin, a two-year All-Ivy selection, and sophomore Janet Dickerman. "The key in fast-pitch softball is the pitching," Wentzell says. "Those two work harder than anyone else on the team, and they're the ones who will make us or break us."

Rubin was 5.8 with a 2.75 PRN last season, while Dickermen was 6.2. 1.85.

Sophomore Gia Barrest who batted 308 in the number-three position last year, will be behind the plate She was selected as catcher for the '84 All-Ivy second team.

Another returning starter is sophomore third baseman and cleanup hitter Lisa Rowning who led the squad in batting last year with a 400 mark.

Sophomore Irisha Brown, who made the All-Ivy first team as a designated hitter, will trade positions with Cunningham this season and take over at first base Batting fifth last year, she hit 322.

"All three of them are excellent hitters," Wentzell says. "We have to improve our offensive game this year--we'll give up two or three a game, but we'll have to score four or five."

Left fielder Mary McKinnon, a junior who hit .344 last year, will be another source of offensive power. "Mary really knows the game and gives it all she's got," Wentzell says.

"I think our offense looks very good better than ever," Rowning says. "And the freshmen are going to be a large part of it."

In fact three of the starting positions may be filled by Yardlings shortstop second base, and center held.

Sharon Haves, a native of Levington. Mass, will be at shortstop "There's no question about it," Wentzell says. "Offensively and tetensively she's an excellent player a big addition to the team."

Three freshmen, Kristen Abely. Mary baldaut, and Suzanne Cocca, are battling for the second base spot, while freshman Hanya Bluestone and sophomore Mary Paul are vying for the starting role in center.

The only position not yet firm is right field, which is hinging on Wilson's recuperation.

Rounding out the squad are freshmen Callie Huber and Carilyn Beck, sophomore Laureen Mulkern, and junior Jane McHugh.

"Our lineup is a little stronger than last year, and our pitching and infield defense should be good," Wentzell says. "I'm excited--we're going to be playing a good brand of softball."