Streaking Laxwomen Pound Terriers, 10-3

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

The Harvard women's lacrosse team extended its winning streak to four games last night, downing a vastly improved Boston University squad, 10-3, at Nickerson Field.

In its final non league and final road contest of the year, the Crimson unleashed more than 40 shots on goal en route to its sixth victory in its last seven outings.

The impressive win upped Harvard's overall record to 9-4 and brought to a close a grueling five-game road swing.

The nation's 10th-ranked Crimson squad will now return home for two season-ending contests against Ivy rivals Yale and Dartmouth this week and next.

Last night, though, Harvard had its hands full with B.U. squad that was was light years apart from the Terrier squad it pasted 21-5, just one year ago.

"They are much improved," said a jubilant Harvard Coach Carole Kleinfender, who with the win upped her six year mark to 90-39-2.

"As a result I think we've got be very happy with where we are," Kleinfelder added.

Just where that is is becoming clearer with every game. One of the youngest squads Klemfelder has ever helded, this year's Crimson team has quickly matured into yet another highly touted Harvard women's lacrosse team.

And though for the first time in five years there will be no postseason tournament bid--because of an NCAA rule limiting the number of tourney participants to four--and though there are no single standouts, Harvard has found solace in the fact that this just might be the most balanced Crimson team of them all.

Six players were responsible for last night's 10 goals, which came on five assists. In the last two games combined, Harvard has scored 24 goals on 17 assists.

"I think in these last two games it's all started to come together," Kleinfelder said. "We've gotten things that just hadn't been happening.

"We've gotten a lot of goals off assists and I don't think we've ever had that," Kleinfelder added. "And we're also getting scoring from a lot of people."

Last night's big scorers were seniors Lisa Black and Jennifer Greeley, who each tallied a hat trick. Black's two assists gave her five points for the third consecutive game.

Greeley, who a year ago didn't score a-single goal, scored two within 30 seconds on each other in the 16th minute of the opening period last night. That brought the visitors back from a 1-0 deficit. After the Terriers knotted things at two several minutes later. Harvard then reeled off seven straight to put the game out of reach.

Lost in the offensive fireworks was the continued impressive play of the entire Harvard defense, which in the last seven games has now given up an average of just three goals a game.

THE NOTE BOOK: After 13 games a year ago, Harvard was 11-2...The laxwomen will meet Yale at 2 p.m. Saturday on Soldiers Field, and then will host Dartmouth next week in the season finale. Wins over the Elis and the Big Green would give Harvard its fifth consecutive Ivy crown. Harvard is currently 4-0 in the Ancient Eight...Harvard goalie Krickett Johnson made three saves last night...Other Crimson scorers were Kelly McBride, Bambi Taylor, Liz Faecher and Kate Felsen. Each tallied once...The Crimson has won its last four games by a combined score of 46-10...The laxwomen are currently averaging 10.1 goals a game. The team record for one season is 12 goals a game...They have outscored their opponents this year, 132-78...After 13 games last year Harvard had scored 133 goals...Harvard improved its three-year mark to 33-10-1 and its five-year mark to 64-20-1...In the latest national rankings, released yesterday, Harvard was ranked 10th. That's two spots below where are Cantabs were ranked last week. The big winners this week were Virginia, which jumped into the number four spot, and the University of the New Hampshire, which by virtue of a 10-9 triple overtime triumph over the University of Massachusetts, vaulted into the number five position. Temple remained the top ranked team.