Entertainment is Up When the Lights are Down

NIGHTLIFE

By Charles C. Matthews

The Boston area can be deceiving. Like most first-time travelers here, you may think the only things these people care about is maintaining the Puritan ethic and polishing monuments of guys who killed Brits more than 200 years ago.

Sure, Boston and its environs can't compare to New York in terms of upbeat culture. This place is probably not even like Los Angeles if a bopping nightlife is what you seek. But don't let first sights hold your glance too long. Despite provincial images fostered by a thin layer of Brahmin aristocracy, Boston has not separated itself from other cultural hotspots.

You will have to travel beyond Harvard Square to find most live bands and dancing. But, fear not, you won't have to buy subway tokens to get to most movies because the Square offers some good theaters within walking distance. Check out The Phoenix each week for complete listings of evening entertainment. Buy tickets for big concerts and nightclub bands at Out of Town News, Strawberry Records, Ticketron or the box offices. If it's concert tickets you want, make sure you go early, because the high-school kids always seem to eat them up quickly and scalp them at a huge profit to saps who didn't wait in line for seats.

MUSIC AND DANCING IN CLUBS

Live bands in the square play consistently at Jonathan Swift's on John F. Kennedy Street. Mostly deadhead rockers and blues musicians here. Doors stay open until 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday. Passim, in the alley between the two halves of the Harvard Coop, doubles as a restaurant by day and features folk artists and acoustic guitarists by night. If you don't mind a short hike up Cambridge Street to Inman Square, you can hear live jazz and blues at the 1369 Club.

Since you're here for the summer, you should venture beyond the world of Harvard's dimly lit cafes. There's lots of dancing to popular new wave music and techno-pop bands at the newly opened Man Ray (21A Brookline St.). It's connected to a gay night club next door so you'll find a mixture of men dancing with men, women with women, and men with women. If you want more emphasis on the band than the dancing, check out The Channel. Planes departing Logan Airport frequently roar overhead and you'll have to trek over a bridge from South Station to see some good rock and post-punk bands here. Those 18 and over can get into New Musik nights on Tuesday, but on other nights it's open to only those 21 and over. The Stompers play Friday June 28, The Drive on Saturday June 29 and Los Angeles punk nihilist band Black Flag plays to all ages Sunday June 30.

A last stand for strictly hardcore punk is Chet's (across the street from Boston Garden). It caters to mainly local bands. Turtles Under Fire and PG 13 will be there tonight. Good visiting New York and L.A. bands usually hit The Rat (528 Commonwealth Ave.) in Kenmore Square. Naked Raygun will play there tonight and playing Tuesday is macabre-punk-turned-psychedelic True Sounds of Liberty.

Less decadent sounds and more dancing mingle at three chain-owned clubs--including Spit (10 Lansdowne St.)--all out by Fenway. The Paradise (967 Commonwealth Ave.) features consistent rock bands with ex-member of defunct The Jam, Bruce Foxton on July 11. The Metro (15 Landsdowne St.) has dancing, but disregard rumors that The Stanglers will be there this Thursday.

Just about all of these clubs serve alcohol. The recent drinking age hike to 21 will keep those underage outside. But, because of the bill's attached grandfather clause, 20-year-olds can get in with a Massachusetts I.D. Some clubs either don't care or don't know about this state identification complexity, so try to get in even if you're not a real Bay Stater.

Another reminder: the subway trains do not run between Park St. and the Harvard station on weekdays after 9 p.m. You can catch a bus back home, but these (and the T on weekends) shut down at 12:30 each night.

LARGE CONCERTS

Tina Turner and Foreigner will hit the area's big concert arenas this summer. It used to be that Boston Garden and Sullivan Stadium hired nationally popular musicians. Now wrestling matches and carnivals have replaced music as the main attraction at these two auditoriums. The Worcester Centrum has taken over as the reigning local big concert hall. Turner will be there July 21 and 22 and Foreigner August 5 and 6. If you can't get tickets to the Centrum shows, head down to Rhode Island's Providence Civic Center. Tina Turner plays Providence on July 25 and Foreigner on July 27. Up north at New Hampshire's Kingston Fairgrounds, the southern California headbanger band Motley Crue will get vulgar, hiss, and even play some songs on August 3.

Closer to the homefront, Concerts on the Common has a big line-up of easy listening, reggae and jazz concerts scheduled. Permit complications have plagued the Boston Common program in previous years, but it's in full swing this summer with most shows starting at 6 p.m. Veteran rockers Santana will play on the scenic park this Friday, June 28. Popular jazzist Pat Metheny is featured Wednesday, July 10 and will be followed on July 19 with mainstream funkist Chaka Khan.

Across the street from the Common shows is the Orpheum Theater which has a fairly meager line-up this summer compared to previous seasons. Local rock bands will compete there this Friday June 28 and ex-Magazine leader, Howard Jones, will highlight the Saturday June 29 show.

MOVIES

Like most modern metropolises, Boston sports several movie houses that show mainstream moneymakers like Rambo or Perfect. The seven Sack Cinema theaters are the best places to find new films that are popular across the nation. But, unless you feel the urge to ride the subway, there's no reason why you should have to leave Cambridge for good flicks. The Square has a good assortment of mainstream popular, classic, and foreign films to keep you entertained without ever having to venture into Boston.

The Harvard Square Theater Complex ( Church St.) stuffs five screens into its small three story structure. It used to feature daily double showings centered around some cute theme, but this was canceled during renovations last year. The manager says the double flicks may start up against this summer. In the meantime you can catch first run and weekend late night shows there.

Those disenchanted with the run-of-the-mill and seeking films by the likes of Truffaut, Fellini and Cocteau can satiate their Euro-urge at The Brattle Theater (40 Brattle St.). Up until July 11, the cozy movie house will feature its annual Janus Film Festival with movies by popular Eastern and Western European directors. Films from the fifties like James Dean's classic Rebel Without A Cause and and an occasional late night 1960s film will round out the rest of the summer. The Janus Theater (57 JFK in the Galeria) also shows foreign films, though it is currently featuring Desperately Seeking Susan.

Right here on campus. The Harvard Film Archive (Carpenter Center, 34 Quincy St.) plans some good and somewhat obscure classics, not to mention horror and animation screenings. Though its located at artsy-fartsy central, most of the classic films have a distinct proletarian and social commentary bent. Among others, Stanley Kubrick's psycho-nightmare The Shining, his apocalyptic satire Dr. Strangelove and an Eastern European animation festival will fill the screens there this summer.

A five-minute walk from Harvard, the Orson Welles Cinema (1001 Massachusetts Ave.) also shows foreign films, but usually blends them with popular flicks. Keep an eye out for the actress festival.

Tired of all this serious stuff? Looking for some really bad cinema? Head up to Off the Walt Cinema and Cafe (Central Square, 15 Pearl St.) in late July for its "Fourth Annual Summer Schlock Festival". No films are scheduled yet, but you can bet Attack of the Killer Tomatoes will show up on one of those screens. A cartoon festival precedes the crud.

Its been known to show lots of foreign films, but the Nickelodeon (606 Commonwealth Ave.) will show mostly American first-runs this summer. And if you're willing to trek into Boston for a movie then you probably wouldn't mind heading up to the Somerville Theater (55 Davis Sq.). One of Boston's oldest moviehouses, the Somerville has an ambiance of chic grime. But don't miss this house that looks like it could easily be revamped into a punk palace. It's got pink walls and even a real balcony. The Killing Fields and Clockwork Orange will fill the screens several times this summer, and a rock series will make its way into the oldtime theater later this summer.