Nevelson Sculpture Unveiled at Law School

By Joseph F Kahn

President Bok yesterday dedicated a work created by Louise Nevelson, a world-famous artist who will receive an honorary degree at Harvard's 334th Commencement tomorrow.

The work, "Nightwall," which is located in the Law School quadrangle in front of Langdell Library, was donated to Harvard by Arnold and Mildred Glimcher of New York City.

Glimacher, who is head of the Pace Gallery, said he and Nevelson chose Harvard as the site for the approximately 12 foot high contemporary sculpture in memory of his father-in-Law, Summer Z. Cooper '32.

In his opening remarks Bok said Harvard has failed to decorate its grounds more fully with art in comparison to the sculpture garden at the University of California at Los Angeles. He attributed this to a general lack of respect for University property during the '60s and '70s adding that he has tried to rectify this "but by bit."

"Everything else I do is intangible. This time we have added something valuable and beautiful to the University," Bok said. He added that he hopes the campus is filled with such artwork, exemplified by Nevelson's work and what he termed the "wonderful" fountain in front of the Science Center, "within the next century."

Nevelson is primarily a surrealist artist whose work is "environmental" and "monumental," according to Neil J. Levine, chairman of the Fine Arts Department.

Referring to her use of "throw-away" objects to form her works, Levine said, the 86-year-old Nevelson, "developed sculpture through processes that could have an unexpected power, not framed by conventions of human figures."