Tough and Stubborn

John B. Fox Jr. '59

John B. Fox Jr. '59, the new administrative dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, is no stranger to the task of running things at Harvard.

Prior to his appointment to the GSAS post this summer, Fox served as dean of the College for nine years. During that time he supervised the non-academic side of undergraduate life, including the House system several student-faculty committees, and the Administrative Board, the College's chief disciplinary body.

Before assuming the College's top post in 1976, Fox held several advisory posts in University Hall, as special assistant to the dean of the Faculty and as assistant dean of the Faculty for educational administration. His years as a full-time Harvard employee began in 1967, when he headed what is now the Office of Career Services.

As dean of the College, Fox earned a reputation as a tough and sometimes stubborn administrator. He lacked complete authority over the House masters and engaged in more than a few policy disputes with them, but he successfully implemented the residential system to which his name quickly became attached. The "Fox Plan" made the Yard the exclusive domain of freshmen and cleared the 12 residential Houses for upperclassmen only.

Fox earned respect among his colleagues for planning and supervising the first phases of the $50 million House renovation project and for helping University fundraisers win over several prime donors to the $350 million Harvard Campaign, concluded last winter.

But Fox lost points among undergraduates, and generally failed to establish popularity with them, because of what some described as his distant and overly officious approach to his position. He dealt closely only with a few undergraduates, such as student government delegates. Many students who confronted him with problems about Harvard, in particular some minority group leaders and those dealt a short hand by the Administrative Board, typically said he was less than fully receptive to breaking either College precedent or his own Puritanical sense of right and wrong.

Despite his image problems however. Fox heads into his first year at GSAS with strong support from his boss. Dean of the Faculty A Michael Spence, who this summer described Fox as "someone with dedication to Harvard, first-class administrative skills and someone who will be concerned about both students and administration."

Fox will be the first non-academic to take a leading role in running the troubled GSAS and will report to primary GSAS dean Sally Falk Moore, whose main role will be supervising the school's academic policies and practices. But Fox will have his hands busy, with direct responsibility for several problematic areas: GSAS finances, admissions and financial aid, office management and personnel, student affairs, and alumni relations.

Fox has thus far refused to comment on his appointment or new duties, saying only that after many years in the spotlight as College dean he wants to return to life as "a private citizen."

"I just want to tend my own knitting," he said.