Stickwomen Cross Up Crusaders, 5-1

In an impressive display of freshman talent and team versatility, the Harvard field hockey team crushed Holy Cross at home yesterday, 5-1, improving its record to 5-4 overall (1-1 Ivy League).

The Crimson outshot its opponents, 21-4, in the first half and dominated play from start to finish.

Harvard netted only two goals in the first half, even though it had numerous occasions to add to that total before intermission.

"Despite having some golden opportunities," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said, "we didn't capitalize on all our chances."

The first Harvard goal, scored by Erin O'Brien, came off a short corner eight minutes into the game. The ball initially came out to Char Joslin, who instead of driving it in, passed it to O'Brien, who blasted home the opening goal.

Thanks a Lot, 'Sis

Holy Cross struck back four minutes later with a goal from Erin's sister, Mo O'Brien, following a Harvard defensive corner scramble.

The Crimson was able to apply steady offensive pressure throughout the rest of the half, drawing a total of 10 short corners, and forcing Holy Cross to play catch-up the whole time.

Sharon Landau provided the goahead goal with three minutes left in the period, assisted by Joslin, who set up a beautiful play at the top of the circle.

In the second half, Holy Cross came out stronger, but nothing was going to stop the consistently-aggressive play of the Harvard freshmen, who all contributed largely to the game.

"We still need to work on consistency throughout an entire game a little more," Caples said, "but today the freshmen really settled down and contributed."

And settle down they did, with Becky Gaffney scoring two picture perfect goals off of Sandra Whyte's well-targeted centering passes. Gaffney's first goal came midway through the half on a well-anticipated tip-in from Whyte.

With 11 minutes left in the game, Landau scored again on a lunging shot, assisted by Joslin, after being tripped up by a Holy Cross defenseman.

With 1:10 to go in the game, the freshman connection struck again for the fifth and final Harvard goal. Becky Gaffney, on the post and in perfect position, blasted in a hard centering pass from Whyte on the outside.

Caples was pleased with the freshmen's performance, nothing Kristen Fowler's good game sense and touch, as well as her passing ability. Ceci Clark, one of the squad's steadiest players, did an excellent job on defense, marking the left and more difficult, non-stick side of the field.

On Saturday the Crimson travels to Dartmouth, hoping to better its Ivy record in what is traditionally a hardfought contest.