K-School Advertises Professors Available for Expert Advice

By Brian R. Hecht

Appear or perish.

It may be the new creed of faculty at the Kennedy School of Government, as even the world of academia turns to television for legitimacy.

The K-School this year purchased a quarter-page advertisement in a widely circulated media directory to publicize the availability of experts for media appearances.

"Faculty members are available on virtually any topic concerning government and public policy," the ad reads.

The $135 advertisement ran in the "Directory of Experts, Authorities and Spokespersons," subtitled the "Talk Show Guest Directory." Publisher and Editor Mitchell P. Davis said that the directory is distributed free of charge to more than 6000 media outlets, including the "Phil Donahue Show" and "Late Night With David Letterman."

The success of the expert-for-hire ad has yet to be determined, officials said.

"No one has identified themselves as having called because of the ad," said Steven R. Singer, director of press relations for the K-School. Calling this year's ad "an experiment," Singer said he will probably not buy space in next year's directory.

Davis said that the fact that media representatives have not indicated to the K-School that the ad prompted their requests for experts is not an uncommon problem.

"A real marketing problem [is that] media don't like to bring up who they heard [about the source] from," he said.

Singer would not disclose which K-School professors are most often requested for media appearances.