K-School Seeks IOP Director

Search for Replacement for Thornburgh to Begin

By Eric S. Solowey

The Kennedy School of Government may convene a search committee to find a replacement for outgoing Institute of Politics (IOP) Director Richard L. Thornburgh as early as this week, K-School officials said.

Thornbugh, the former Pennsylvania governor who took a leave of absence in July to replace Attorney General Edwin Meese, was reappointed to the federal post last week by President-elect George Bush. Thornburgh will resign from his job as IOP director although the school has not yet received a letter of resignation, officials said.

But K-School Press Secretary Steven R. Singer said the composition of the search committee has not been determined. He also said it is possible a decision would not be made by a committee, saying K-School Dean Graham T. Allison '62 could make the choice himself.

Deputy IOP Director David Runkel said he believed that a search committee would probably be formed by the end of the week to help in the search for Thornburgh's successor. Runnel, who has been acting IP director during Thornbugh's five-month absence said that the IOP's Student Advisory Committee (SAC) would have input into the search process.

Runkel also said he believed that the K-School will be searching for a director with experience in elected office, as it had done when it offered Thornburgh, a two-term Republican governor, the position in 1987.

Runkel, who was director of communications and press secretary for Thornburgh when he was governor, said he will be leaving for Washington to serve as the attorney general'scommunications adviser.

The attorney general's wife, Giuny Thornburgh,who is Harvard's coordinator of programs forpersons with disabilities, said yesterday that shewill also be joining Thornburgh in Washington. "Idon't want to continue a commuter marriage anymore," she said.

Ginny Thornburgh said she will seek a job inWashington advocating disability services