College Rejects Council's Plea for End to Keg Ban

By Joseph R. Palmore

In a letter read to the Undergraduate Council last night, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 informed the body that he would not lift a ban on kegs in freshman dorms, as the council had asked him to do only three weeks ago.

But Jewett wrote in the letter, dated March 4, that he regretted not consulting the council before enacting the policy at the beginning of this spring term.

"In the future...I will make every effort to inform the council or its appropriate committees and to seek advice before implementing a decision of this kind," the dean wrote to council.

In an interview last night the dean said council input probably would not have prevented the keg ban.

The council was not consulted on the keg ban, however, because the administration enacted the policy while the council was in its January recess, he said. The College wanted the ban in effect then because officials anticipated large parties at the beginning of spring term, he said.

Jewett also wrote in the letter "one could well argue that we should be prohibiting all alcohol from freshman dorms, and we have, in fact, considered that possibility." The letter adds however, "That we have not [banned all alcohol for freshmen] is in part a gesture of respect both to students' privacy and to the fact the at we could not enforce such a prohibition without inordinate interference with that privacy."

Council Chairman Evan J. Mandery '89 said he would discuss the keg ban with Jewett again in a meeting today. "I think the council is acting in student interests by not being very confrontational on this issue. I don't think anything productive would come of that," Mandery said.

"I think [Jewett] regrets not having consulted the council and I feel confident that he will do so in the future," Mandery said.

In other business, the council appropriated $18,000 to bid for a spring concert. Jonathan S. Leff '90, who is negotiating with bands on behalf of the council's social committee, said the Hooters could probably be booked for a May show at Bright Hockey Arena.

But council members, 25 percent of whom were absent, voted down that choice because members did not think the Philadelphia band could attract enough fans to fill the 2500-seat Bright Arena. The council then authorized Leff to contact other acts. Among the other possibilities mentioned at last night's meeting were Chuck Berry and Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads.

The council also unanimously voted to send to the Board of Overseers an earlier council report calling for divestment. The board will consider a divestment resolution at its March 20 meeting.

Council advertisements will also call onstudents to send cards in support of thedivestment measure to the board, one of Harvard'stwo governing bodies. The council is bound toadvocate divestment by a spring 1986 resolution.

In a meeting characterized by members knittingand others holding up signs reminding Mandery whenspeaking time had expired, the council approved areport calling for the establishment of aninsurance fund for non-alcoholic parties sponsoredby houses. The council also voted to hold a springparty cruise