MIT Stops Aquawomen

Game Marked by Controversy

By Alvar J. Mattei

After three quarters of last night's Harvard-MIT water polo game at MIT's Alumni pool, the Crimson had a problem.

Harvard had won its game earlier in the day over URI, 15-5, stretching its varsity record to 10-0. But the Crimson players found themselves down to the Engineers, 10-8, entering the final stanza. It marked only the second time all year they were down entering the fourth quarter.

Harvard came out firing in that fourth period, realizing that it was now or never. Tri-Captain Eileen Pratt won the fourth-quarter swim-off by eight feet, getting early control of the ball for a Tara Gustilo goal. Tri-Captain Lynley Ogilvie scored her third goal of the game a minute later tie the score.

But then, MIT rattled off four straight goals to hand the Crimson its first loss of the season.

"It was a very tough game," said Tri-Captain Leslie Barbi. "It helped that they were at home, playing in their own pool."

The first three periods were played at one speed--fast. In fact, five goals were scored in the first 2:45 of the game. But MIT got the better of the action, and found itself up by as many as three goals before the half.

Russian Judge

And not only did the Crimson players have to fight a fired-up MIT squad, which had lost to Harvard four straight times dating back to last season, they also had to fight the officiating. Questionable calls marred the contest. Boston Celtics announcer Johnny Most would have had a field day with this one. In fact, the ejections were throughly in MIT's favor throughout the game.

When Harvard tried to slap on its patented pressure defense in the fourth period, it rarely worked. The Crimson did manage to snuff out two critical Engineer power plays in the first half.