W. Booters Topple Tufts, 3-0, in Opening Scrimmage

By Colin F. Boyle

For the past few seasons, the largest question for the Harvard women's soccer team has been about its offensive attack.

If yesterday's scrimmage game against Tufts at Ohiri Field is any indication of the team's attack this year, that question may have been answered.

The Crimson exploded for three goals in the first 15 minutes of the game en route to an easy 3-0 victory over Tufts in the squad's first intercollegiate action this season.

"We're not the Harvard team of the past, with a questionable offense and a very solid defense," Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton said. "I think this year that we'll have more production on offense and we won't be as strong on defense, although I think we'll be solid."

The Crimson opened the scoring just three minutes into the contest when Captain Amy Winston knocked home a loose ball in front of the net after a crossing pass from junior Andrea Montalbano.

Harvard increased its lead just seven minutes later after freshman Robin Johnston entered the game. The freshman touched the ball for the first time in her college career, broke through a pair of defenders and fired a shot into the right side of the net.

"It was nice to see someone score the very first time she touches the ball in a game situation," Wheaton said.

Three minutes later, Winston picked off an errant Jumbo pass and blasted in the Crimson's final goal of the game. Winston, a senior opening the season injury-free for the first time while at Harvard, also tallied a pair of goals in the squad's game against its alumnae last Saturday.

The Crimson opens its regular-season schedule Saturday at 2 p.m. against Columbia.