Venturing A Few Guesses

Eclectic Notebook

By Michael J. Lartigue

Before the fall semester expires, the EN staff would like to make several predictions and give its opinion on several sports teams.

.The Harvard men's and women's squash teams are probably the most overlooked teams by Harvard sports fans.

.If the Harvard women's basketball team wins the Ivy League title this year, it deserves at least an NIT bid, along with more fans at its home games.

.Senior Lane MacDonald will win the Hobey Baker Award as the best collegiate hockey player in the nation.

.Is there a better one-two goalie tandem than Allain Roy and Chuckie Hughes?

.The icemen will win the Beanpot, and Harvard students should book tickets to Minnesota for the NCAA Final Four.

.The equestrian team deserves varsity status and facilities closer to Harvard. We suggest opening a stable in the Yard.

.If the hockey team isn't the first Harvard team to win an NCAA title in 85 years, the women's lacrosse team is the next best bet.

.The men's basketball team will defeat Dartmouth Tuesday at Briggs Cage. A plan of attack: The cagers should work the ball to Ron Mitchell more. He's been the most consistent player on the team. Don't be surprised if Harvard Coach Peter Roby and company are hanging up an Ivy title banner at the end of the season.

The EN staff would like to congratulate President Bok on being the first college president to receive the Quote of the Week.

Go for it, Derek: "I'm very proud of our hockey team. I'll probably send Mr. [Bill] Cleary a note saying that I hope he does better in the second half of the season...That is an uncharacteristic record [15-0] for a Harvard team. Whenever we're ranked first in the nation I begin to worry."

Runner-up: "In Harvard locker room parlance, `defense' usually refers to U.S. capabilities vis-a-vis NATO, `formations' often are those of molecules and `Big Red' is the people's Republic of China. But we try to keep familiar with all the definitions to keep the coaches happy." -- Harvard defensive tackle Jim Bell discussing the football team's plays.