Students Storm U.S. Ambassador's Home

South Korean Radicals Attack Residence; Envoy Unharmed

SEOUL, South Korea--Radical students armed with firebombs and tear gas briefly occupied part of U.S. Ambassador Donald Gregg's residence early today before riot police dragged them out, officials said.

A U.S. State Department spokespersons in Washington said Gregg and his wife were not injured in the attack.

Police said six male students belonging to an "anti-U.S. death squad" scaled the walls of Gregg's residential compound and hurled tear gas at guards who tried to stop them from rushing the home.

The students locked themselves inside one building and held off riot police for about 30 minutes before troops firing tear gas smashed down a door and seized them, police said.

"Drive out the Yankees!" the students screamed as police hustled them away.

Gregg and his wife, Meg, said at a news conference they were in bed at about 6:30 A.M. when they heard a blast and a guard warned them by telephone that intruders had entered the compound, which is about one mile from the U.S. Embassy.

The Greggs said they heard the intruders on the other side of their locked bedroom door, but were able to escape the house by another entrance and avoid an encounter with the students.

The students, however, caused extensive damage in the living room, smashing artwork and pottery, Gregg said.

He said though that the incident would have no impact on U.S.-South Korean relations and that the students represented a vocal minority.

"This was the act of six people who broke into our house," Gregg said.

Police said the intruders were armed with firebombs, tear gas and steel bars. Yonhap, the South Korean news agency, said the protesters also carried paint thinner and what it described as a crude homemade explosive.

Police said the intruders did not use any weapons except for one tear gas grenade they detonated when forcing their way into the compound in central Seoul. Damage from the tear gas grenade, which was apparently captured police equipment, was described as minor.

The students, who came from three colleges in the Seoul area, demanded a meeting with Gregg to press for an end to U.S. trade pressure on South Korea, police said.

They shouted "Punish Gregg!" and "We oppose U.S. trade pressure!" At least one student was draped in a South Korean flag.