Stickwomen Top Penn; Claim 2-1 Ivy Triumph

By Angela M. Payne

Ready.

There's no better word to describe the Harvard field hockey team in its 2-1 victory over 13th-ranked Penn yesterday at Soldiers Field.

In a game that could have been entitled "How to Play Field Hockey the Right Way," the Crimson (2-0 Ivy League, 3-2 overall) utilized precise stickwork, game experience and pseudo-psychic teamwork to defeat the defending Ivy champ Quakers (2-1, 4-1) to take control of the league race.

"This is a very significant win for us," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "We're 2-0 in the lvies now. We have a lot of momentum."

Harvard's offense was ready and it wasted no time in pointing this out to the Penn defense. After five minutes of play and a brief scramble in front of the goal, junior Anne van Dykum pushed the ball in past Quaker goalie Sue Donohue for the first goal of the game.

The Quakers, who play on astroturf at home, had some difficulties with their passing and stickwork.

"Penn is more of a turf team," Co-Captain Char Joslin said. "Their quick passes didn't work out. The field really isn't conducive to that."

With five minutes remaining in the first half, a Penn defensive player committed a foul in the goal after apenalty corner shot by Joslin. In the ensuingpenalty flick, senior Lisa Cutone scored with aconfident shot to the corner.

Down, 2-0, Penn immediately took the ball deepinto Harvard territory. Quaker forward EllenVagelos, a living testimony to stickwork drills,drew the ball left and pushed it in for Penn'sfirst and last goal.

Harvard continued to frustrate the anxious Pennoffense in the second half as the game took a moreaggressive turn.

"It got a little hairy for a while but we hungin there," Caples said.

Despite two penalty corners and an increasedamount of circle play, the Quakers continuallycame up short at the hands of a determineddefensive effort--led by senior Co-Captain ErinO'Brien and sophomores Sandra Whyte and KristinFowler.

"A lot of pressure on me was relieved by thedefense," sophomore goalie Lisa Yadao said."Sandra [Whyte] flew well to the ball, and we wereable to back her up."

Yadao had eight shots taken on her, incomparison to Donahue, who saw Harvard take 20shots.

Harvard takes on Cornell in its Ivy gameOctober 14 in Ithaca. N.Y. Now that the Crimsonhas defeated the Quakers, the path Harvard's firstIvy championship is a little clearer.

"I know we can compete now," said Caples. "Thebest teams in the Ivy League are competitivenation wide."CrimsonBernardo L. SabatiniSenior LISA CUTONE (center) pushes the ballbetween two Penn defenders yesterday at SoldiersField. The Crimson topped the Quakers, 2-1.