Streak Ends: Bruins Shock Big Red

Ivy Wrap

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--Quarterback Danny Clark passed for 221 yards and two touchdowns as Brown snapped a 15-game winless streak with a 28-7 victory over Cornell Saturday.

The victory, in front of a Parents Weekend crowd of 8600, was Brown's first since a 19-16 triumph over Columbia in 1987. Cornell dropped to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the Ivy League.

Brown (1-5, 1-3) benefited from numerous Cornell mistakes as the Big Red turned the ball over thee times and was penalized for a total of 120 yards in the game.

Cornell took a 7-0 lead on its first possession with a 12-yd. touchdown run by Todd Nicholson. However, Brown tied the game with 1:08 left in the first quarter on a 1-yd. touchdown plunge by John Skinner.

Clark threw two touchdown passes in the second quarter to give Brown a 21-7 halftime lead. On the first one, he rolled right and threw back across the field to Bill Miller, who ran 16 yards to score. The second strike was to Rodd Torbert for 10 yards.

Skinner rushed for a second touch-down with four minutes left in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach.

Yale 23, Columbia 0

NEW YORK--Darin Kehler passed for two touchdowns and ran for another, enabling the Elis to remain unbeaten in the Ivy League.

Yale (5-1, 3-0) held Columbia (0-6, 0-4) to nine first downs, and the Lions crossed midfield only twice.

Kehler carried 22 times for 103 yards and completed 8 of 17 passes for 98 yards, including a 6-yd. toss to Peter Caravella that capped a 60-yd. first-quarter drive and gave the Elis a 6-0 lead.

Ed Perks hit a 27-yd. field goal at 4:36 of the second quarter, before Kehler scored on a 1-yd. run in the third period, then passed 18 yards to Drew Brown later in the same quarter, closing out the scoring.

Princeton 38, Fordham 20

PRINCETON, N.J.--Joel Sharp threw three first-half touchdown passes to help host Princeton post a victory in its 1000th football game.

Sharp threw a 30-yd. touchdown pass to wide receiver Tommy Haan with 5:11 left in the first quarter.

Two more Sharp scoring passes gave Princeton a 24-14 halftime lead.

The Tigers (4-1, 3-0) dominated the second half, with Sharp and Judd Garrett (97 rushing yards) scoring on short runs.

Penn 25, Bucknell 24

PHILADELPHIA--Dan Curtin sacked Bucknell quarterback Scott Auchenbach for a safety with 5:58 left to lift Penn (4-1, 2-0).

A 46-yd. field goal attempt by Bucknell's Steve Barimo with 20 seconds left in the game hit the crossbar.

Bucknell had taken its first lead, 24-23, in the fourth period on Brian Henessey's 3-yd. touchdown run.

But the safety--Penn's only score of the second half--put the Quakers ahead to stay.