Army-Navy Shop Camps Out

From Fatigues to Boots, It's the Latest in Military Fashion

After nearly one-and-a-half years of boot camp, military fashion has finally hit the Square.

Since the opening of the "MASS*ARMY*NAVY*STORE." earlier this month, Harvard has been invaded with legions of fatigues, bomber jackets and army boots.

Located at 1436 Mass Ave. the store is the third and largest branch in a family chain that began with the opening of Central Surplus in Central Square 42 years ago.

"Our goal was to create a fashion store that offered something for everyone," said owner Jayne E. Glaser, "and we're very optimistic--especially since it's the only one of its kind in the Square."

The store has an inventory of nearly 10,000 items, sporting everything from Levi's Dockers for less than $30 to 28 different colors of all-cotton turtle-necks at $8.99 a piece.

Sportswear, rugged shirts, footgear from army boots to oxfords, jackets, wool coats and even Harvard insignia are also sold. Although the store carries mostly mens' and unisex styles, some women's clothes are available.

Glaser, her husband David and the platoon of over 40 employees--including Harvard students--who staff the store all said that initial sales were "very encouraging. "This will be the place to be for warm outer jackets for winter," Jayne Glaser said.

Glaser said the "big and tall department" and the "surplus international" section are thus far the most popular among students.

"It's been open less than a week and there are so many people here," Nashat T. Masri '93 said last week. "I just bought a pair of tennis shoes--the prices seem reasonable, and the people are eager to help you."

But it took a while for the Glasers to mount their onslaught on Square shoppers. After signing a lease in summer 1988, the owners encountered the red tape of Cambridge's historical commission. Because the store's location has historical status, it took a while to get building permits for the 7000-square foot renovations.

Frequent Turnovers

The Mass. Ave. building site has had a frequent tenant turnover rate in the past few years, but the Glasers said they are optimistic that their large selection and competitive prices will keep the store afloat. The shop also offers a mail-order catalog, which the Glassers said has a circulation of nearly 1.7 million worldwide.

And, said Boston University student Joseph A. Kanofsky, the new store has one advantage: "It's your typical army-navy store with the fatigues and all...and the best part is that is doesn't smell like moth balls."