Sharing the Last Four Years Together

Field Hockey's Sharon Landau and Lisa Cutone

By Juan Plascencia

"It's so strange that you want to interview both of us at the same time," they say. "We've played together for four years. We play like sisters."

Meet Sharon Landau and Lisa Cutone, senior forwards on the Harvard field hockey team. As four-year starters on Harvard's front line, they form the core of Harvard's newfound success this season.

But it hasn't always been that way. When they first began playing for former Coach Nita Lamborghini four years ago, the Crimson was going through what Lamborghini termed a "building stage."

"I remember when Nita called all of us in," Cutone says. "There were six freshmen back then. She said to us that we were the beginning of a great tradition."

Both had been recruited. Landau as the national high school career record-holder for scoring, had played since seventh grade. Cutone began playing in 10th grade.

Since Landau and Cutone had both played right forward in high school, they naturally tried out for the same spot.

"I remember the day we decided to help each other out," Landau recalls. "We just said, `Let's motivate each other.' Even though we wanted the same position, there was never any friction between us."

Cutone beat Landau out. But even as first-year players, both started on the varsity squad.

"I was bummed out when I switched from forward to midfield," Landau says.

But then Lamborghini placed Landau as a center forward.

"Playing with Lisa makes it 10 times better," Landau says. "We totally play together. I have total confidence when Lisa plays next to me."

"We really complement each other," Cutone adds. "I always know she's there. We always click."

The two players also help each other out before the game even starts.

"We have this little ritual before each game," Landau says. "We like to slap our sticks together and give each other high fives. It motivates us for the game."

That motivation has stemmed, in part, from their dedication to the game. Both participate in summer leagues--Cutone in the Boston Bay League, Landau in a New York league. The motivation has carried over to their games this season.

"We always set goals before each game," Cutone says. "We try to make them realistic goals, like we'll try to score three goals between us or something."

In Harvard's 10-0 victory over Lowell yesterday, for example, Cutone and Landau connected on a beautiful pass for the goal.

"I didn't even have to look," Cutone says. "I knew Sharon would be right there."

The goals and rituals have worked so far this season. Both are major reasons for the team's incredible success this year and, with Co-Captain Char Joslin, form a tremendous offensive trio.

In fact, the five seniors on the team--who were anointed as the "beginning of a great tradition" four years ago--now lead a nationally-ranked squad. And tomorrow in Providence, R.I., Harvard will be challenging Brown for the Ivy League championship.

"We want to win the Brown game so badly," Landau says.

Cutone and Landau owe a large part of Harvard's current success to Coach Sue Caples, who replaced Lamborghini as head coach two years ago.

"Before, Sue really couldn't teach us that much, since she was only the assistant coach," Landau says. "But now it's better because this year there's less competition among the players themselves."

However, they are quick to admit, Lamborghini made it all possible.

"Our year was the first really great recruiting year," Cutone says. "I mean, look at where we are now."