Panel Discusses Frank Case

Ethics Committee Holds First Closed-Door Meeting

WASHINGTON--The House ethics committee held its first discussion yesterday on allegations surrounding the relationship between U.S. Rep. Barney Frank '61 (D-Mass.) and a male prostitute, and Frank, meanwhile, canceled two speeches on ethics reform.

The closed-door session lasted three hours in the committee room in the basement of the U.S. Capitol building. No official statements or decisions emerged from what was a preliminary session and members had no comment on the discussion.

But the presence of U.S. Rep. Louis Stokes (D-Ohio) at the hearing was a tip-off that Frank was being discussed. U.S. Rep. Chester Atkins (D-Mass.), a member of the ethics committee, with drew from the Frank case because Frank is a fellow Democrat from Massachusetts. Atkins said he could not render an impartial decision on various charges involving Frank's relationship with Stephen Gobie.

Ethics committee Chair Julian Dixon (D-Calif.) told reporters during a break in the hearing that "Atkins has recused himself on the Frank case and he will certainly not be present on the Frank case." Dixon has said earlier that Stokes would attend committee hearings only when Frank was being discussed.

Stokes was at the committee meeting during a two-hour morning session and for another hour in the afternoon. After that, Atkins returned to the committee.

Frank has admitted that he paid Gobie $80 in 1985 for sex and subsequently hired Gobie with his own personal funds to serve as a housekeeper and driver from July 1985 through August 1987.

Gobie has charged that Frank was aware he was operating a sex-for-hire ring out of Frank's Capitol Hill apartment. He also alleged that he and Frank had sex in the House gymnasium. Frank has denied both of those charges.

Neither Frank nor his attorney, former Maryland Attorney General Stephen Sachs, were present at yesterday's hearing. Sachs did not return phone calls seeking comment. Frank maintained his policy of not commenting on the case.

Frank yesterday canceled two speeches he was scheduled to deliver this month on the subject of the House ethics committee and ethics reform legislation. The five-term legislator was scheduled to speak to the Senior Executives Association today at the Quality Inn on Capitol Hill and later this month to the American Political Science Association.

"These two discussions would require me to give my views on the role and procedures of the House ethics committee," Frank said in a statement issued through a spokesperson. "And since it is not appropriate for me to do that while my case is pending, I have regretfully declined to give these speeches at this time."

The committee as a matter of policy does not make its agenda public. But committee spokesperson Mark Davis said there are no further committee meetings scheduled for this week. A congressional aide close to the situation who asked not to be identified said Frank has not been informed of the committee schedule.

Sachs has said he is preparing documents in Frank's defense for presentation to the committee. The documents will include records of Gobie's employment for Frank.