Ortega Breaks Ceasefire in Nicaragua

U.S. Fears February Elections May Be Jeopardized by Heightened Tensions

MANAGUA, Nicaragua--President Daniel Ortega ended a 19-month truce with Contra guerrillas yesterday, blaming the United States for renewed rebel attacks and accusing President Bush of "promoting death, assassination, crime and terrorism in Nicaragua."

Ortega said the truce was being canceled because of increased Contra attacks, including one last week he said killed 18 people and another Monday that killed four.

Ortega read a communique in which he said, "Nicaragua reaffirms once again that, regardless of the position assumed by the mercenary forces, the electoral process culminating with the Feb. 25 elections will be guaranteed."

The White House denounced Ortega's decision to end the truce but brushed off talk about renewing military aid to the Contras. "We don't want to give him any excuse" to cancel elections scheduled for next February, said presidential press secretary Marlin Fitzwater.

But, he said, replying heatedly to a reporter's question on U.S. aid to the Contras, "Now it will depend on the Yankee Congress and the Yankee president whether these elections take place or not on February 25."

Alejandro Bendana, secretary-general at the Foreign Ministry, said later that Nicaragua had no plans to cancel the elections. Commenting on possible renewed U.S. military aid to the Contras, Bendana added, "Obviously, if they let a bomb fall here we can't have elections."

Ortega said U.S. aid to the Contras should be used only to demobilize and resettle the army that has been trying to overthrow his leftist Sandinista government.

Fitzwater said no request for renewed military aid was contemplated.

The administration said Bush was consulting with leaders in Central America to bring diplomatic pressure on Ortega to reverse the decision.

"This has little to do with the military situation and much to do with the electoral situation," said Virgilio Godoy, vice presidential candidate of the National Opposition Union, a 14-party coalition that is the Sandinistas' main election rival.

His announcement was a blow to the Central American peace process and the Aug. 7 agreements that called for disbanding the Contras in exchange for moves toward democratization in Nicaragua.

"The Sandinistas are looking for excuses not to hold elections," Contra commander Enrique Bermudez said from Honduras.

The Contras were not a party to the peace accords, and Contra field commanders have said they will not abide by them.

Bermudez said the Contras would continue to observe the cease-fire except to defend themselves. He said he recognized that renewed U.S. military aid was unlikely, but called it "the only option."

Ortega contends the Contras have routinely violated the truce since it was signed in March 1988, a month after Congress suspended military aid to the rebels. He said that in 19 months, Contra attacks in Nicaragua killed more than 730 people and wounded more than 1000, mostly civilians.

The cease-fire was never formalized, and the Sandinistas extended it on a monthly basis.