Stickwomen to Host Princeton in ECACs

By Juan Plascencia

When opportunity knocks, it's generally a good idea to open the door.

Today at 2:30 p.m., the Harvard field hockey team will be rolling out the red carpet as it plays Princeton in the semifinals of the ECAC tournament at Ohiri Field.

"We're looking forward to the game," Coach Sue Caples said.

"Everyone's fired up and wants an opportunity to prove themselves."

The reason is simple. Last week at Soldiers Field, the Crimson (10-4 overall, 4-2 Ivy) lost to the Tigers, 2-1, in overtime. That alone should motivate Harvard.

"It's going to be sweet revenge," senior Lisa Cutone said last Monday, after the tournament teams were announced.

After a week of triumph (Harvard pummeled Lowell, 10-0, last Monday) and disappointment (Harvard lost the Ivy League championship game to Brown, 2-1, in overtime last Wednesday), you'd think that this team is ready for a long break. But...

"Psyched. I am so excited. I can't wait to get on the field." Landau said.

"Even though the Ivies were our main goal, and we came so close," Landau added, "we shouldn't be bummed about it."

The Brown game is already a thing of the past.

"We were all extremely disappointed after the Brown game," Caples added. "But this is the first time we've ever been invited to the ECAC tournament. It shows that we had a good season."

The tournament offers the opportunity for a second chance. If Harvard beats Princeton (9-5 overall, 3-2 Ivy), and Brown defeats Ursinus in the earlier game (also at Ohiri), then the Crimson will host the Bruins in the championship game Sunday at 1 p.m. Just imagine the opportunity...

But first, the Tigers.

"The last [Princeton] game, we felt we were the better team," Caples said. "We just didn't score...Princeton happened to be in the right place at the right time. We should be able to take care of them."

The main Tiger threats to the Crimson should come from forwards Stephanie Naticchia and Sue Finney, who scored the game-winner in the last confrontation.

But the Tigers can claw from all sides. Led by Brit Dewey, the Princeton defense will challenge the tremendous offensive trio of Co-Captain Char Joslin, Lisa Cutone, and Landau.

"Brit Dewey is an outstanding sweeper," Caples said. "She is probably the backbone of the team."

So how to beat a team with so much obvious talent, a team Harvard should have beaten?

"We need to make something happen from the start." Caples said. "We know we can play better than last time."

"I'm not nervous that we can't win at all," Landau said. "I'm really confident that we can beat them."