Date Rape and Formal Action

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing to correct what I believe is a damaging misrepresentation of remarks that I made during a November 7 panel on rape. Although I would not normally make such a correction merely for the sake of accuracy, I feel that the sentiments attributed to me by your reporter are not only so contrary to my own view, but so chilling to survivors of date rape that I must, on this occasion, respond.

I do not, nor would I ever discourage victims from using the formal Administrative Board process. Nor do I automatically favor informal methods of resolution of a complaint. What I encourage is the active participation of a date rape survivor in the informed choice of a means by which to seek a remedy for the harm she has suffered. In fact, as I pointed out at the panel, choosing a formal course of action can be an enormously empowering experience.

What I and the audience members actually discussed were the troubling difficulties of using an administrative process to address an incident of sexual assault, and my personal concern that women, intimidated by the official status of deans and the unknown mechanics of Ad Board process, might choose not to act on their own behalf. It was my goal at this panel to inform women about the people and procedures involved in pursuing the formal administrative process so that they might, if they wished, be able to use that process with a minimum of anxiety and apprehension.

It is difficult enough to make our formal complaint processes accessible to those who may be feeling vulnerable and frightened after assault or harassment. Careless reporting only augments this difficulty and increases the distance between administrators and students. Janet A. Viggiani   Assistant Dean for Coeducation