Canadians Ignore Sneddon and Roy

Shenk Tank

By Gary R. Shenk

After this past week, Harvard hockey players Kevin Sneddon and Allain Roy have something in common besides the fact that they're both Canadian and live in Kirkland House N-11. Now, they've both been slighted by Canadian Olympic officials as well.

Sneddon was invited to camp for the Canadian Junior Olympic team, instilled with the impression from coaches that he would make the roster which would compete in a Finland over the Christmas holiday. The Harvard defenseman went to the camp last Wednesday, but was sent packing Saturday morning after failing to, make the cut.

"I went into camp pretty positive," Sneddon said. "I thought there was only going to be 11 defensemen, but guys were showing up from the pros and stuff, and it's pretty hard to compete with them. I think they already knew the team before I even went, I was kind of upset about that. I wish they had of told me ahead of time. I'm really disappointed in the whole system."

Sneddon's shocking dismissal came just in time to give Harvard a boost against Dartmouth Saturday night. Coach Bill Cleary had forward John Weisbrod slated to play defense against the Big Green in Sneddon's place, but switched back to normal formation when Sneddon showed up an hour before gametime.

After taking a cab directly from Logan airport to Bright Center, Sneddon tallied his second assist of the season in the Crimson's 7-2 victory. But the standout defenseman was wearing an eclectic uniform--Greg Hess' skates, Ted Donato's shinpads, Danny Scanlon's pants--after his equipment did not show up with his flight from Ottawa.

"I'll always welcome Kevin Sneddon back," Cleary said.

None was happier with Sneddon's arrival than Weisbrod, who despite playing defense at the end of his high school career, was fearful of making his college defensive debut.

"I was anxiously awaiting [Sneddon] to get here," Weisbrod said. "I was running around the rink getting him gear from the JV players. I wanted him out there more than anyone else."

On the other hand, Roy was not even invited to the camp. After Canadian coaches had led him to believe that he would be invited to the tryout, Roy's name was omitted from the list of invitees, shocking both him and Sneddon.

"I don't know if it was politics or what. I think their system is a bit screwed up," Roy said.

But the story doesn't end there.

At the camp, coaches apparently realized that they had made a mistake. In addition, the Canadian goalie in Roy's place at the camp was hampered with a groin injury. The coaches began hinting to Roy that he might be asked to travel to Finland anyway.

Roy has been stellar this season for the Crimson, continuing to be among the ECAC leaders despite Harvard's losing record. After a 50-save performance against Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H., and a 5-0 shutout of Cornell this month, he was named ECAC Player of the Week.

"I think they figured out they made the wrong move because the kids they brought have been playing very poorly," Roy said.

However, the coaches had not given Roy a phone call as of yesterday evening, meaning that the Crimson netminder would probably not make the trip. The Canadian team left for Finland yesterday.

While Crimson goalie Chuckie Hughes and forward Ted Drury had fewer problems with the U.S. Olympic officials and will be playing in the under-20 competition, the two Harvard players who are both among the best at their position in Canada will both not be playing in Finland.

The whole episode had a rotten ending for Roy and Sneddon. However, the good news for Harvard is that the two standouts will both be around for the Dec. 22-23 games against powerhouse Minnesota. The last time the duo was in Minnesota, they just happened to snag all-tournament honors.