Reality Missing in PBHA Coverage

By Rosa Ehrenreich

I was flipping through the Crimson recently when I came across a lengthy article, "Political Debate Sparks Introspection at PBHA."

It was a shocking story. Apparently, PBHA has just elected someone called Ehrenreich as president. Ehrenreich, with a haughty disregard for the PBHA tradition of providing cheerful, apolitical services to adorable underprivileged children, hopes to turn PBHA into a "central planning office" for the purpose of getting PBHA more involved in local electoral politics.

The Crimson, ever solicitous towards other Harvard organizations, was concerned that Ehrenreich's actions would jeopardize PBHA's non-profit status and drive away flocks of volunteers.

I was appalled. How could the evil Ehrenreich do such a thing to a nice group like PBHA? Who could have voted for her?

But as I continued to scan the article I began to have an uneasy sense that something was wrong. First of all the name of Ehrenreich sounded vaguely familiar. Then I realized--why, Ehrenreich! That's me! Why hadn't I recognized myself?

PERHAPS it's just that most people refer to me as "Rosa" But perhaps it was that something crucial was missing from the article. I struggled to pin down just what it was.

And then it hit me.

Reality.

Reality was missing! No wonder I had recognized neither myself nor PBHA.

Rosa Ehrenreich '91 is president of Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA).

The Crimson had forgotten to mention that I do not favor greater PBHA involvement in electoral politics, and that I do not wish to see the Cabinet increasing the number of endorsements it makes. They had forgotten to mention that the Cabinet has been making political endorsements for decades, and that the resolution passed--nearly unanimously--by the Cabinet this fall condemning Proposition 1-2-3 was hardly our "first officials political position." They had forgotten that PBHA is currently less "political," in that sense, than it has been at any time in the last quarter-century. They had Forgotten that the issue of political endorsements played almost no role at all in the PBHA presidential election.

So where was reality? I began to frantically turn the pages.

Finally, by using a magnifying glass, I was able to discover a small column tucked away on page four. "The Real World," it was called.

Funny. There was nothing in it about PBHA.

AND this is a problem. To The Crimson, the real world is not terribly important. Most Crimson reporters are content to stay within the fantasy-land of Harvard Square. Why bother to get the facts straight? It's all a game, and writing articles is an educational diversion for amateur journalists. So what if you end up creating news instead of reporting it?

Nevertheless, there is a real world. Over 1000 PBHA volunteers go out into it every week, trying to help solve the real problems that are faced by real people. In the real world something like Proposition 1-2-3 can leave hundreds of low-income tenants facing eviction. In the real world, a well-meaning but ignorant student volunteer can convince an unhappy urban child that everyone screws you over eventually, especially people from Harvard.

PBHA isn't a college daily, blithely irresponsible for the effects of its actions. It is a human service organization that annually affects the lives of 15,000 people in the community. The PBHA Cabinet consists of the directors of 36 different social service and social action committees, all accountable to the community to provide effective and respectful services.

That's why we emphasize training and orientation for volunteers. That's why we think it's important to provide structured opportunities for people to reflect critically on their volunteer work. And yes, sometimes this involves thinking about "political" issues. This is not exactly a radical earth-shattering observation; most social service organizations take it for granted.

I never thought that I would find myself quoting George Bush, that farfamed Point of Light. But I need to now. Crimson, read my lips: "Greater involvement in electoral politics" is not favored by anyone in PBHA, as far as I know. You are printing irresponsible articles based on misinformation. This is harmful to PBHA's efforts to work effectively within the community.

IN THE future, when The Crimson decides to return to printing real news, perhaps a story could be done on Project Literacy's new programs for single mothers and Harvard Dining Services workers. Or maybe a story could be done on the record number of PBHers who go into public interest jobs after graduation. Or on any of PBHA's 60 programs. It will be a great day when the Real World makes the front page of The Harvard Crimson.