Opposition Will Lead Czechs

Communists Offer to Accept Minority Role

PRAGUE, Czechoslovakia--Czechoslovakia appeared headed yesterday toward a federal government that will put Communists in the minority for the first time since 1948.

For the first time, the Communists, representatives of the four other small parties permitted in Czechoslovakia and the opposition held what a Communist spokesperson called round-table talks to discuss the new government.

The talks followed weeks of historic concessions by the Communists to the nation's emboldened opposition movement, which has filled the streets with pro-democracy protesters and threatened a general strike Monday unless reforms are made.

Marian Calfa, the Communist tapped to form a government after Premier Ladislav Adamec resigned Thursday, said on national TV yesterday that "roughly one half of the new government could be composed of experts with no political affiliation."

The other half of the Cabinet seats would go to the Communists and members of the four other political parties, government spokesperson Marcel Jansen said.

The Communist Party "is convinced that the most important thing is that they are competent and professional," party spokesperson Josef Hora said. "The political affiliation is only secondary."

Socialist Jan Skoda, who attended the meeting, said, "It is possible that the Communists could end up in a small minority" in the new government.

After the talks recessed for the day, CTK reported that Calfa will meet tonight with those who attended the opening talks to try to have a new government sworn in by tomorrow. He did not take part in yesterday's discussions.

CTK quoted Bohuslav Kucera, chair of the small Socialist Party, as saying yesterday's meetings helped all parties involved "reach a great consensus" that should enable Calfa to form a new government.

Jansen and opposition sources earlier yesterday said the talks would be complicated and cautioned against expecting agreement on a new government too soon.

The first session of talks began at 3 p.m. at Prague's Palace of Culture, a modern structure used for concerts and large Communist Party gatherings.

A second round of talks lasted about 90 minutes. CTK said opposition leader Vaclav Havel attended, as did three other former dissidents the opposition has suggested join the government.

Havel said "the results will be published soon," but declined to be more specific.

Vasil Mohorita, a member of the ruling Politburo, said a government "representing all parts" of the political spectrum will be named Sunday. He did not elaborate.

Slovak activist Jan Carnogursky said "certain gains have been won and it has been agreed that all the political interests will be represented." He said it was possible he would become a deputy prime minister.

All three spoke after the meetings ended.

A government named December 3 by Adamec included only five non-Communists in a 21-member Cabinet and left Communists in control of all key ministries. The announcement prompted widespread outrage and a new round of demonstrations.

Demands mounted all week for more genuine power-sharing, with the small People's Party, once a docile ally of the Communists but now more outspoken, proposing the 50-50 divide between party and non-party members.