New Dean Will Promote Minority, Female Hiring

By Madhavi Sunder

Newly appointed Kennedy School of Government Dean Robert D. Putnam announced he would make diversity at the professional school a top priority, student government members said yesterday.

Putnam, who will replace departing Dean Graham T. Allison '62 at the end of this academic year, said he would attempt to attract more minority and women students and faculty to the school. He issued his remarks to members of the Kennedy School Student Government (KSSG) at a luncheon arranged to introduce the dean to the students.

President Derek C. Bok said earlier this week that Putnam's energetic recruitment of minority faculty members as chair of the government department weighed heavily toward his selection as dean. The Kennedy School currently has one woman and one minority among its tenured faculty.

Promoting diversity among faculty, staff and students is a primary concern of the KSSG, said KSSG Co-Chair Shari Davis.

"It was one of the most important priorities we stressed to President Bok when we met with him about the dean search last November," Davis said.

Students who met Putnam said they were impressed by his responsiveness to students concerns.

"The meeting today symbolized the high priority that he is giving to students at the school, and I think that it was the start of a very constructive and ongoing dialogue," Davis said. "He came off as a very friendly, very personable man."

"He has a good sense of his limitations as an outsider, but he shares our view of the school's mission and is ready and willing to learn," said Carrie B. Chimerine, KSSG communications officer.

Putnam also said that he intended to strengthen the Kennedy School's committment to public service.

KSSG parliamentarian Leroy Divinity said he hoped Putnam would encourage more programs like the school's loan-forgiveness program, which provides financial incentives for students to go into public service.