Tower Debate Breaks Down Party Lines

Vote on Defense Secretary Nominee Not Expected Until Next Week

WASHINGTON--Senators clashed yesterday in a party-line floor battle on John G. Tower's faltering nomination, while the White House conceded President Bush has failed to persuade a single Democrat to support his chosen defense secretary.

"Not yet," responded White House press secretary Marlin Fitzwater when asked provide the name of one Democrat the administration had won over after two days of intensive lobbying. Instead, three Democrats joined the ranks of the opponents.

In a session that extended into the early evening, Democrats said the cumulative evidence of excessive drinking and impropriety of Tower's defense ties made him an unacceptable nominee. Republicans said their colleagues have given too much weight to unsubstantiated and unproved allegations, and Bush was entitled to a Cabinet of his choosing.

Sen. Sam Nunn (D-Ga), Armed Services Committee chair, opened the debate, saying Tower's "record of alcohol abuse cannot be ignored."

"We're not talking about the secretary of interior, we're talking about someone next to the president at the very top of the nuclear chain of command," Nunn said.

In rebuttal, Sen. William Cohen (R-Me.), described the evidence in the FBI report as so weak, "no prosecutor would even bring a case like this before a court of law."

Later in the debate, Republicans complained about the use of material that appeared in the FBI report and was damaging to Tower. Sen. Pete Wilson (R-Calif) said Tower had been "trashed" by such material when it was leaked to the news media, and said the leakers never mentioned exculpatory information that also appeared in the FBI report.

Democrats countered that the Bush Administration had characterized the FBI report as containing no information that should preclude Tower's confirmation, when it fact it contained numerous allegations of excessive drinking or inappropriate behavior with women.

Nunn raised the possibility of a closed Senate session at one point to air the numerous sensitive allegations against Tower, although he said he hoped to avoid one. He also raised the possibility of making the transcripts of closed committee sessions public, but no Republican followed up.

Meanwhile, the ranks of opposition Democrats continued to grow as Sen. Terry Sanford (D-N.C.), a Southern Democrat the administration hoped to see in its corner, said he would vote against the nomination. Sens. Alan Cranston (D-Calif) and Paul Sarbanes (D-Md.) also said they would oppose the nomination--raising the number of opposition Democrats to 39.

Democrats hold a 55-45 majority. An AssociatedPress tally showed 44 Democrats and Sen. LarryPressler (R-S.D.) either solidly opposed orleaning in opposition, and 40 Republicans eithersolidly for Tower or leaning in favor of thenomination.

No Senate vote is expected until next week.

Despite the obvious numbers, Bush is "stillpleased with the candidate and still believes he'sthe best man for the job," said Fitzwater.

Tower, meanwhile, met at the White House withBush, Adm. William Crowe and Deputy DefenseSecretary William H. Taft IV, who is serving asacting defense secretary.

The nominee has been dogged by allegations ofexcessive drinking, womanizing and questions abouthis ties to defense contractors. Over a 24-yearperiod, Tower received more than $1 million inconsulting fees from such defense industry giantsas Rockwell and Martin Marietta.

Tower has said he has no intention of giving upthe fight for confirmation and has vowed to giveup drinking if he becomes defense secretary.

Two well-known Republicans--former Sen. BarryGoldwater and former President Richard M.Nixon--weighed in with their support of theembattled nominee.

Goldwater chided the Senate for "working oninnuendo, on facts that have never been proven."

Nixon, in a statement issued by hisspokesperson John Taylor, said "unless there isconclusive evidence against the nominee, theSenate should respect the right of a new presidentto choose the men and women he believes are bestqualified to serve in his Cabinet.