Laxwomen To Face Princeton in Semis

The Harvard women's lacrosse team will face Ivy League foe Princeton in the semifinals of the NCAA tournament this Saturday in West Chester, Pa.

Princeton (14-2) edged Virginia, 6-5, Saturday in a first-round contest in Princeton, N.J., to advance to the Final Four. Harvard (13-0), the number-two seed, received a first-round bye. The Crimson, the only undefeated team in the country, will be coming off an 18-day layoff when it faces the Tigers.

In other first-round action, fifth-seeded Temple (14-3) took advantage of its home turf to blast higher-seeded Lafayette, 11-5, Saturday in Philadelphia and earn the opportunity to face top-seeded Penn State in the semis. The Nittany Lions also received a first-round bye.

Harvard defeated Princeton, 6-2, on March 25 and edged Temple, 5-4, two weeks ago. The Crimson has never faced Penn State, whose only loss came to the Tigers.

"We know that we played [Princeton] and did really well against them," said junior Char Joslin, who took the trip to Princeton along with Co-Captain Katie McAnaney and Maggie Vaughn to watch Saturday's game. "But it also would have been good to play a new team [Virginia.] We didn't really care either way."