Walsh Asks Demong To Explain HRE Policy

By Julian E. Barnes

In his perennial battle against the city's rent control system, City Councillor William H. Walsh is always looking for new methods of attack. And if the conservative Independent gets his way, Harvard Real Estate (HRE) may turn out to be his latest weapon.

At Walsh's instigation, the City Council last night invited HRE President Kristin S. Demong to discuss how the Harvard-owned company allocates its rent-controlled housing.

In an interview last week, the conservative councillor said that he believes that the University is applying a "means test" to its non-Harvard tenants, requiring them to be below a certain maximum income. Such a standard has long been one of Walsh's pet plans for reforming the rent control system.

As evidence for his belief, Walsh cited an HRE publication that says the company is "working to insure that these low-cost units are available to those who need them most."

"I am interested in how they do it and what they do," Walsh said.

Supporters of rent control generally oppose the institution of a means test, arguing that such a measure would likely be unconstitutional and, as a result, could cripple the entire system.

The council's invitation to Demong asks her to to detail the precise criteria HRE uses to determine who gets housing. HRE currently owns 715 units of rent-controlled housing, 75 percent which is rented to Cambridge residents who are not affiliated to the University, according to HRE literature.

Demong said last night that HRE does not use any sort of "means test" to allocate housing.

Currently, HRE operates on an open enrollment policy, Demong said, explaining that housing is allocated on a "first come first serve basis."

Although HRE does asks potential tenants for their incomes, Demong said the agency simply wants to determine if the applicant can pay their rent.

"We do not deny people housing if their income is over a certain limit," said Demong. "We do not limit enrollment to those individuals of low and moderate income people," said Demong. "[Our housing is] open for the general public."

But although HRE has no official policy to assure that the neediest people get the housing, Demong said that the organization does seek low-income families for its rent-controlled housing.

"To the extent we can match people who need low-income housing [with HRE housing] it is a win for everyone involved," said Demong.