Chicago Wins in 11th; Magic Number Still One

BOSTON (AP)--The Boston Red Sox failed to clinch the American League East title last night and sent the race down to the final day by losing to the Chicago White Sox 3-2 on Ozzie Guillen's two-out RBI single in the 11th inning.

The Boston loss, which came about one hour after Toronto won in Baltimore 2-1, left the Red Sox one game ahead of the Blue Jays with one game left in the regular season.

Dennis Lamp (3-5), Boston's fourth pitcher, was unable to hold Chicago in the 11th after the Red Sox failed to score with the bases loaded and two out in the 10th against Donn Pall (3-5). Ellis Burks flied out to end the inning after an intentional walk to Wade Boggs.

With one out in the 11th, Karkovice lined a single to left and took second on Robin Ventura's single to center. Scott Fletcher popped out but Guillen pulled a low-outside pitch into right field and Karkovice just beat Kevin Romine's throw to catcher Tony Pena.

Wayne Edwards, Chicago's fourth pitcher, pitched the 11th for his second save. Romine singled with two out but Pena forced Romine to end the game.

The Red Sox tied the score 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth just after the scoreboard showed that Toronto beat Baltimore on Fred McGriff's ninthinning homer.

Tom Brunansky led off the inning with a double, just the fourth hit off Chicago starter Melido Perez. Jeff Stone ran or Brunansky and Bobby Thigpen relieved Perez. Pena sacrificed Stone to third and Danny Heep (hitting .174) pinch hit for Luis Rivera and hit a sacrifice fly to score Stone.

The White Sox took a 1-0 lead in the first inning with the help of a balk by Tom Bolton. With one out, Lance Johnson extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a single and Carlton Fisk walked.The runners advanced on Bolton's balk and FrankThomas hit a sacrifice fly.

Scott Fletcher walked to start the Chicagoseventh and was forced at second on Guillen's buntback to the mound. Ivan Calderon singled andJohnson got an infield hit when second basemanReed managed to prevent his grounder from goingthrough the hole to right.

Larry Andersen replaced Bolton with the basesloaded and uncorked a wild pitch on an 0-2 countto Fisk, enabling Guillen to score. But withrunners at first, Fisk struck out and Thomas fliedout