William Weld

FOR GOVERNOR:

IF YOU like George Bush, you'll love Bill Weld.

A 1966 summa graduate of Harvard, William F. Weld--of Weld Hall fame--combines the tasteful aristocratic flair of the president with his deeply conservative opposition to government spending. Also like George, William used his political connections to gain access to jobs that have brought him a wealth of managerial experience.

It's an experience that Weld's opponent--House minority leader Steven Pierce--sorely lacks. Republicans who want a moderate and capable candidate should cast their ballots for Weld today. So should Independents, who are eligible to vote in either primary.

IN HIS 12 years in the House, Pierce has gained plenty of experience attacking Democrats--but none running an extensive office or leading an effective legislative effort. In typical opposition tradition, his proposals are sketchy and draconian. Medicaid too expensive? Charge the poor for necessary medical services. Auto insurance premiums too high? Deregulate the industry and allow insurance firms to charge whatever they want. Welfare costing too much? Cut off employment and training benefits to aliens. Pierce has also earned low marks from environmental and women's groups.

Weld, in contrast, favors abortion rights and is an advocate of environmental reform. As U.S. Attorney, he led several highly publicized investigations into public corruption, and admirably resigned from the office of former U.S. Attorney General Edwin M. Meese in protest of the attorney general's ethical misdeeds.

Unfortunately, Weld has endorsed the Citizens for Limited Taxation (CLT) petition--a proposal that would indiscriminately bankrupt the state government and leave schools, health care facilities and other state services on the brink of financial collapse. Although he says he would seek to delay the CLT petition's implementation as governor, Weld's position reveals too much of antigovernment Ronald Reagan and not enough of his Yale counterpart. We are also disappointed by his staunch support of the death penalty--a position he shares with Pierce and Democratic candidate Frank Bellotti.

Despite our reservations, the choice for Republicans and Independents is clear. William Weld would be a governor that would make Poppy proud.