Harvard Profs Worried About Politics of War

By Lan N. Nguyen

Several Harvard professors who have closely followed events in the Middle East said they were not surprised by the U.S. bombing of Iraq and Kuwait tonight, but were troubled by possible consequences of the action.

"This has been coming," said Associate Professor of Government Stephen M. Haggard, adding that he was "saddened that this is coming to pass."

Professor of History Charles C. Maier added that war seemed "inevitable" after talks between U.S. Secretary of State James Baker and Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz failed last week.

"The only question was how long the President would wait," he said.

But professors said there were many more questions now that the decision to attack has been made. The biggest questions, they said, is whether the hostilities will end soon.

"For the Arab People, everything will depend on how the war goes." Nadav Safran, Albertson professor of Middle Eastern studies said. "If it is over quickly and resolved quickly, it will blow over. If it gets messy, there may be some serious consequences."

Safran added that anti-war demonstrations would likely begin in Arab countries when citizens wake up to hear the news.

"If Kuwait is not quote "liberated" in a few week, the political side will be important," said Maier. "There will be strains in public opinion in the United States and certainly in Arab countries."

Baird Professor of Science Dudley R. Herschbach, who has proclaimed his opposition to the war, said, "There's this period of exhiliaration as American are spectators and watch it on television, but what bothers me is what happens down the road."

Experts said they see military and political reasons for the air strike.