Gomes Should Resign

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Peninsula's most recent issue dealing with homosexuality has generated numerous responses and reactions. While I find the great majority of these criticisms to be unjust, I wish to reply to only one--that of the Reverend Peter J. Gomes.

As Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Minister of Memorial Church, Gomes is one of the most respected members of the Harvard community. Thus I was shocked by his statements at a recent BGLSA rally. He not only condemned Peninsula's articles as "wicked writing," but also publicly acknowledged his own homosexuality. As a Christian and a member of Memorial Church, this was one of the most disturbing events in my four years at Harvard.

I am greatly dismayed that the most prominent Christian on campus has such unorthodox views. At the rally, Gomes claimed that in terms of Christian teaching, Peninsula "got it wrong" and he was gong to "get it right." He cited his position as the Plummer Professor of Christian Morals as authority to declare that homosexual behavior is "reconcilable" with Christianity. To put it bluntly, he is wrong.

While Christian teaching calls for compassion and charity toward homosexual individuals, it explicitly states that homosexual behavior is sinful and should be discouraged. Homosexuals can only become full members of the Christian church when they admit the sinfulness of their actions and ask for forgiveness in the name of Christ. Gomes' preaching that homosexual behavior can be justified in the church is nothing less than heresy.

In reference to the editors of Peninsula, Gomes stated, "we in the Christian church do not have to apologize for the church, we do not have to apologize for those who use the church and its name to advance or protect their own private agenda." Yet in reality, it is not the editors of Peninsula, but rather Gomes who is using his position in the church to gain acceptance for his behavior.

In light of Harvard's strong Christian community and its historical significance to Christians across the nation, Gomes' statements can not go unnoticed. I have great respect for Gomes' intellectual capabilities and his personal integrity but unless he openly admits homosexual behavior to be sinful, I feel compelled to call for his immediate resignation as minister of Memorial Church. As a professor he is free to espouse any or all beliefs. But as the leader of this campus' central Christian church, his beliefs must be consistent with biblical teaching.

It is my sincere hope that members of the Harvard community recognize that this letter is not meant to denounce homosexuals. I only which to voice my disapproval of Gomes' recent actions and discuss them within the context of Harvard's Christian community. Sumner Anderson '92