Our Letter Was Misinterpreted

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The Society of Arab Students would like to clarify its position with respect to the recent controversy surrounding the SAS fact sheet distributed December 15.

The aim of this fact sheet was to present to the Harvard community the adverse consequences of the policies stemming from the Zionist ideology. These policies have undeniably resulted in discrimination against the Palestinian people. Our goal was not to attack either Judaism or the Jewish people. It is regrettable that a number of students has misinterpreted the intention of the fact sheet.

The implementation of Zionism has produced two inseparable realities. First of all, it has established a homeland for Jews where they can express their inalienable right to control their destiny. We strongly support the rights of all people for nationhood and self-determination.

It is precisely this belief which causes us to stand firmly against its second consequence: the displacement of Palestinians and the denial of their same inalienable rights. We do not believe that a people's rights should be sacrificed in order to grant a different people the same rights.

In Tuesday's Crimson, the SAS was accused of "undermin[ing] the peace process and further[ing] the dreams of destroying Israel." This assessment is both false and grossly irresponsible.

In fact, last Monday, the SAS intensively solicited more than 800 signatures for a petition supporting the present peace talks and encouraging President Bush to maintain his even-handed approach in pursuing a lasting peace in the Middle East.

In addition, the SAS was involved in an Arab-Jewish dialogue workshop last spring which sought to break the psychological barrier between Arabs and Jews on campus.

Richard Primus, in his editorial, claimed "the Society of Arab Students...weren't interested in promoting a productive discourse about the Arab-Israeli conflict." Contrary to Primus's claim, the SAS proposed an open invitation to all Jewish/Israeli groups on campus to come join us in our meetings and cooperate with us "for peace in the Middle East." This invitation was published in The Crimson on October 18, 1990.

Primus's late night encounter with one individual has nothing to do with SAS's position in regard to any issue. We resent the attempt to portray our organization as an uninformed, non-peace-seeking group.

We will not allow this image of the SAS to be perpetuated. As a society which represents Arabs from various parts of the Arab world, it is our duty and moral obligation to expose the persecution and suffering of the Palestinian people.

Peace in the Middle East is our ultimate objective. A just peace can only be realized when the rights of every community in the region are respected, including those of the Palestinians and Israelis.

Our objection to Zionism is that, in practice, it has not respected the basic rights of the Palestinian people. From this position, we once again invite all Jewish/Israeli groups on campus to work with us to achieve our goal. Hazem Ben-Gacem '92   Naseem Tuffaha '94   Joana Samhoun '93   The Society of Arab Students