Sinking Rams Get Good News: Robinson Quits

Nine Straight Losses Convince John Robinson It's Time To Resign

By The ASSOCIATED Press

ANAHEIM, Calif.--John Robinson, who took the Los Angeles Rams within one win of the Super Bowl two years ago, announced his resignation yesterday as the team's head coach.

Robinson's future seemed bleak for some time, as the Rams have lost nine straight games to match a team record that has lasted 50 years.

"I have submitted my resignation and it has been accepted," Robinson said after practice at Rams Park. "It's the right time and the right thing to happen."

Robinson, 56, said his decision to quit was a mutual one with Rams management.

"We had a good nine years here, although the last two years have been difficult, particularly this last year," he said. "But in overall terms, I feel very good about my time here."

Robinson said he has no plans except to take off some time, explaining, "I will sit down and decide whether to stay in coaching or not."

He emphasized he has not spoken with anyone about another coaching job.

The Rams (3-12) finish the season at Seattle on Sunday night. Robinson will make that game his final one with the team he joined in 1983.

The 12 losses represents the most for the Rams since 1962 and a loss to the Seahawks would set a team record for futility.

What's happened this season has continued a skid that began in 1990, when the Rams went 5-11 after making it to the NFC Championship game in 1989, where they lost to San Francisco.

Several possible replacements for Robinson had surfaced even before yesterday's announcement, which came after Robinson told the players of his intentions.

One is former Eagles coach Buddy Ryan, fired last season after the team lost its first playoff game for the third year in a row. Rams defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher was Ryan's defensive coordinator in Philadelphia before heading west.

Another is Dick Coury, the defensive coordinator in New England and a former quarterbacks coach for the Rams. He has prior head coaching experience in the USFL.

The Rams also might talk to Dennis Green, who led Stanford to an 8-3 mark this season and also has been rumored for a possible vacancy in San Diego.

Robinson was with the Rams for nine years, the longest tenure of any head coach in franchise history. He set franchise highs for games coached--it will be 153 after Sunday night--and victories. His overall record with the team is 79-73.

Robinson's Rams earned six playoff berths, winning the NFC West once and making it to the NFC Championship game twice.

The Rams were unable to take the final step to the Super Bowl, losing 24-0 to Chicago in the 1985 conference title game, and 30-3 to the 49ers in 1989. The Bears and 49ers went on to win the Super Bowl those years.

The Rams were 12-6, including playoffs, in 1985, and 13-6, counting playoffs, in 1989, Robinson's best seasons.

Although they came within one win of the Super Bowl two years ago, the loss to the 49ers signaled the beginning of the Rams' slide. Their two-year slump has been team-wide.

Jim Everett, considered on the verge of becoming one of the NFL's premier quarterbacks, instead became one of the league's least effective passers.

The running game, Robinson's forte, never was the same after the Rams traded Eric Dickerson 1987.