Q: How do You Pick a President?

A: Very Secretly

By Philip P. Pan

Harvard University's presidential search committee may be the only organization in the world with tighter controls on information than the U.S. military command in the Persian Gulf.

As the search for a successor to President Derek C. Bok enters its final stages, the eight-member committee continues to keep a nearly airtight lid on information about the status of the search.

Despite the news blackout, sources told The Crimson this week that the committee had arrived at a short list of candidates with three highly-regarded individuals at the top of the list.

In addition to Andrus Professor of Genetics Philip Leder '56, who has been widely mentioned as a top candidate, sources close to the process said that Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein '61 and Neil L. Rudenstine, executive vice-president of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, are also leading contenders. [See profile of Feldstein on page one.]

On Monday, The Crimson exclusively reported that Rudenstine, who is a former provost of Princeton University, dined with the eight-member committee on Sunday evening in a secret meeting at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

After the meeting, Rudenstine was rushed out a back door into an awaiting car. As the car sped away, the passenger in the back seat shielded his face from reporters and photographers.

A meeting this late in February raises several questions about the current status of the search and when the final decision will be announced.

The big announcement was originally scheduled for January or early February, but University spokesperson Peter Costa is now saying that an announcement will not come until late February or early March.

But some observers suggest that a decision might be announced in the imminent future, especially since Bok finally returns from a trip abroad next week. Several insiders have said that an announcement probably will not be made in Bok's absence.

On the other hand, one source close to the process said last week that the final announcement could come as late as April, when the Board of Overseers meets again.

Although the alumni-elected governing board must confirm the committee's final choice, it is possible that the candidate could be approved over the phone, or even in a special meeting.

Members of the search committee reportedly briefed the Board of Overseers on the status of the search at its bi-monthly meeting on Sunday.

The mixed signals may mean nothing or they may indicate division in the search committee itself, or among the governing boards.

If the committee is deadlocked and cannot agree on a single candidate, the members may decide to take another look at other names on the list.

The remaining candidates, sources said, may include Stephen G. Breyer, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, University of Chicago Provost Gerhard Casper, Leroy E. Hood, a leading biology at the California Institute of Technology, Houghton Professor of Chemistry Jeremy R. Knowles and Rotch Professor of Atmospheric Science Michael B. McElroy.

In that field, Breyer and Hood seem to be the dark horses.

Observers say it is unlikely that the committee will select Hood, a scientist from outside the University, when three Harvard scientists are on the list. And Breyer, who was once leading candidate to be dean of the Law School, is no longer an academic.

Casper may be an interesting figure to watch in the coming weeks, especially since University of Chicago President Hanna H. Gray is a member of the committee. In addition, members of the search committee and its staff met in Chicago yesterday, according to several sources.

And a strong feeling among insiders that the University will select a scientist to take the helm means that Knowles and McElroy--two popular members of the Faculty--cannot be counted out yet.

But the three candidates that seem to have captured the attention of the search committee are Feldstein, Leder and Rudenstine.

All three are well known at Harvard, as well as in higher education circles. Feldstein is a senior member of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Leder heads the Medical School's genetics laboratory and Rudenstine was once a professor in the English department.

Although Rudenstine is the newest candidate in the public spotlight, he is by no means an unknown at Harvard. After leaving the University in 1968, the Renaissance literature specialist went on to climb the academic and administrative ladder at Princeton University, his alma mater.

At Princeton, Rudenstine served as dean of students, dean of the college and finally as provost. And he continued to teach throughout his administrative career.

Indeed, the Sunday evening meeting may have been the second or even third time that Rudenstine met with committee members. It is likely that he was originally interviewed by only a few members of the committee. The four-hour meeting on Sunday may have been his first chance to meet with the entire committee.