U.S.-Japan Magazine Premieres

By Johannes K. Juette

The first issue of an undergraduate magazine created to increase community awareness about Japan and its relations with the U.S. was distributed last week.

Kyoko Takahashi '93, Raymond B. Nomizu '91 and Cara Dunne '92 began planning Inside Japan this fall in response to increased student enrollment in East Asian Studies courses and the growing importance of U.S.-Japanese relations. publication's future because of its

"The basic mission of the magazine is to promote awareness among students about issues, ideas and prominent figures in Japan without any bias," said Dunne, one of the magazine's editors.

Takahashi said she hopes that the publication will "make Japan as a subject much more accessible" to students because of its focus on the big picture rather than on individual events.

According to Nomizu, Harvard lacked a forum for students to discuss Japanese politics and culture without encountering "underlying prejudices." He added that he is "optimistic" about the publication's future because of its solid advertising base and the support it has received from University faculty and administrators.

Founders say they will publish and distribute the magazine twice each year free of charge. The publication is funded by the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies, the Undergraduate Council and the Harvard Foundation.

Editors dedicated the first issue to the late Professor Edwin O. Reischauer, a leading scholar in the field of Japanese studies