Bok to be Commencement Speaker

Outgoing President to Deliver Central Address at Exercises

By Philip P. Pan

President Derek C. Bok will deliver the principal address at this year's Commencement exercises on June 6, Harvard officials confirmed last night.

Breaking with tradition, the University has selected one of its own to present the prestigous graduation speech. Bok will join the ranks of other Commencement luminaries, such as German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, who spoke last year.

Bok, who will step down this June after 20 years in Harvard's top post, has spoken at Commencement before, but this year he will deliver the feature presentation.

Harvard Commencement speakers have in the past used the address to discuss issues from world peace to education to personal experience. In 1947, then-Secretary of State George C. Marshall unveiled a proposal for post-World War II reconstruction that would later be known as the Marshall Plan.

The University made this decision soon after Bok announced his retirement last June, spokesperson Peter Costa said last night from his home in Wellesley, Mass.

"I think it's great. He's certainly had a long and distinguished career serving Harvard and he deserves one last pulpit," said Class Marshall Brian R. Trelstad '91.

Class Marshall Nina Lopez '91 also said she was happy about the decision. "I've never heard him speak before so I don't think it's redundant," she said.

The Harvard Alumni Association officially informed the class committee of the decision about two weeks ago, she said.

University Marshall Richard M. Hunt could not be reached for comment yesterday. The University Marshall's Office selects the commencement speaker each year.

The selection of Bok marks a break in the series of world leaders invited to speak at Harvard's graduating ceremonies. In 1989, then-Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto '73 spoke.

Bok's address in June will be the culmination of a series of events this spring celebrating his two decades at Harvard's helm. Class marshalls said that the decision was partially meant to honor Bok.

Present and past members of the Board of Overseers, the University's alumni-elected governing board, held a farewell banquet for the 61-year-old educator in Boston on Saturday night.

According to class marshalls, President-designate Neil L. Rudenstine may speak at this year's commencement ceremonies as well. Earlier this month, the University announced the selection of Rudenstine as Bok's successor.

But Costa said that although Rudenstine may attend the ceremonies and may be seated on the platform, he probably will not deliver an address.

"I don't think that will be true," Costa said of a possible Rudenstine speech. "The chances are remote."

Bok will be the first Harvard affiliate to deliver the Commencement address since 1982, when Eliot Professor of Greek Literature Emeritus John H. Finley Jr. '25 was the honored speaker.

One senior contacted last night expressed some surprise at the choice.

"I respect the man, but I've heard him speak for four years," said Winthrop House resident Mario Mancuso '91. "I was expecting some kind of dignitary."