M. Rowers Grab Copley Cup

Heavyweight Crew Avenges Last Year's Controversial Loss

By Sean Becker

A controversial ruling after last year's San Diego Crew Classic stripped the Harvard men's heavyweight crew of the Copley Cup that it thought it had won. This year, the Crimson reclaimed the Cup and left no doubt that it was in Cambridge to stay.

The Crimson completed the 2000 meter course in 5:52, defeating Washington, the crew that won the title last year, by four seconds. Pennsylvania finished third in 5:48.

Harvard's victory over Washington was made sweeter by the fact that the Crimson had lost last year's cup to the Huskies and a ruling by U.S. Rowing Association officials. Harvard lost to Washington in what appeared to be last year's final, but the race was re-rowed after officials determined that the crew from Wisconsin was not prepared when the race began.

The Crimson took the second final, and brought the Copley Cup back East. Three days later, however, judges ruled that the initial final was a valid race, and the Crimson was stripped of its title.

"The seniors on the boat this year learned an important lesson [from last year]," Harvard's Owen West said. "You can't sit back and wait for things to happen. You've got to make things happen."

Harvard made things happen early in this year's race, capturing the lead by the 1000 meter mark. After passing UCLA and Washington, the Crimson established a lead that would last for the remainder of the race. UCLA faded after 1500 meters, and the race became a two crew contest between Harvard and Washington.

The Huskies put on a strong push at the 1500 meter mark, drawing to within half a boat length. The Crimson responded, however, and pulled away. Harvard won the race by more than a length.

Travis Metz, a veteran of last year's race, was Harvard's coxswain while Snorre Lorgen, West, Dan Justice, Bill Cooper, Ethan Ayer, Uli Baer, John Cooper and Ted Marple comprised the rest of the boat.

"I thought we had a really strong performance," West said. "We learned lessons from last year. It was a really strong field and we're pleased with how it went."

The Crimson will seek to continue its success this weekend when it rows against Brown, a crew that may prove to be the biggest roadblock in the way to an Ivy League Crown.