Revenge All That Remains for Laxmen

Lacrosse Notebook

By Jay K. Varma

When the Harvard men's lacrosse team squares off against New Hampshire at Ohiri Field today at 2 p.m., few will consider the game of much importance.

The Crimson's season has grown progressively more dismal with each frustrating loss. And a 14-7 drubbing by 15th-ranked Yale Saturday pretty much nailed the coffin shut on Harvard's hopes of a tolerable finish.

But, if nothing else, today's game does carry some personal significance. Last year, the third-ranked Crimson, still giddy from its dramatic overtime upset of second-ranked Yale, travelled to Durham, N.H. to face a traditionally weak Wildcats squad. In a shocking victory that ended the Crimson's hopes of a first-round NCAA bye, the Wildcats upended Harvard, 13-12.

Today, the Crimson, though unable to salvage its season, may look to regain some pride in its remaining two games. And, if nothing else, today's game may be about revenge.

For Harvard to win today, it will have to rely on more than emotion, though. The Crimson must also continue the balanced scoring that has kept it in its most recent contests.

Above all, the laxmen must tighten up their team defense, which virtually collapsed against the Elis.

They may have their hands full with New Hampshire, which has rolled along to a respectable 6-3 record and plays a slow-down style, similar to the Crimson's. While New Hampshire plays a fairly weak schedule, the Wildcats defeated C.W. Post, 14-13, in their season opener and are coming off a 13-1 thrashing of Providence.

Senior attackers Mark Botnick and Jeff Mechura power the experienced Wildcats offense. Botnick leads the team with 27 goals and 15 assists, while Mechura has tallied 38 points so far.

***

Scoring Leaders

After beginning the season with a bang, Tri-Captain Mick Cavouti's scoring has slowed down. Against Yale the prolific attacker tallied one goal and one assist after being held to only one assist against Massachusetts.

Nevertheless, Cavouti continues to have a strong season. Tallying 39 points so far, he is currently seventh in the Ivy League in overall scoring.

Tri-Captain and Mather roommate Tim Reilly, second on the Crimson in scoring, is 14th on the scoring charts.

***

Bears and Tigers

As Harvard's season winds down, the rest of the lacrosse world is gearing up for the NCAA tournament. This time last year, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown and Cornell were all looking to post-season action, but there is little chance the Ivies will dominate the tournament this year.

While Cornell, currently ranked 14th, could snag a tournament bid with victories in its remaining games, only Princeton and Brown seems assured of being on the 12-team guest list.

Undefeated, second-ranked Brown continues to roll along, and, after pounding Dartmouth, 24-10, might pick up its fourth-ever Ivy League title.

The Bears, who last ruled the Ancient Eight in 1985, will put their undefeated season--and the Ivy title--on the line this Saturday, when they face Cornell in Providence. Even though Brown has not defeated the Big Red in six years, the Bears remain the heavy favorite, primarily because of their high-powered offense, which continues to earn honors from around the league.

Sophomore Oliver Marti, Brown's crease-specialist and leading scorer in the Ivy League, was named Rookie of the Week after tallying nine goals against Dartmouth and New Hampshire. Marti, a native of British Columbia, just transferred to Brown this year. He has played box lacrosse all his life. This is his first season playing outdoors.

Princeton, currently ranked fourth in the nation, is also making a strong bid for the NCAA tournament and could garner a first-round bye. The Tigers are coming off a solid 14-2 thrashing of Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., Saturday.

The Tigers are led by freshman sensation Kevin Lowe, who tallied two goals and two assists against the Big Red. Lowe has recorded 31 assists this season and is only five short of tying the school record.