Students Debate Campaign

Supporters of Bush, Clinton Defend Their Candidates

By Alex B. Livingston, Contributing Reporter

Student political activists engaged in a mock presidential debate sponsored by the Institute of Politics last night.

During the first part of the debate, students representing President Bush and Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton answered questions from campus journalists on a wide array of issues including health care, education and economics.

Debate moderator Jeremy Horowitz '94, chair of the Harvard Political Union, said that Perot was not represented because no student group is campaigning for the Texan on campus.

About 50 audience members watched as participants spent most of the debate criticizing the opposition and putting forth solutions developed by their candidate.

Jay Kim '94, election chair for the Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats, and Gregory S. Chernack '93, president of Harvard-Radcliffe for Clinton-Gore, focused on Clinton's dedication to change in government.

"I don't think that Americans want change [through] trickle down economics," Kim said. "Clinton has not been part of Washington politics."

Stephen Ko '95, president of the Students for Bush, and Emil Michael '94, president of the Harvard Republicans, challenged this form of change.

"Is that the kind of change you want? Taxing and spending?" Michael said.

Both sides also challenged the character of the opposing presidential hopeful. Stephen Ko said, "If you look in to the past few months, there has been a consistent pattern of deception [by Clinton]."

"Who was the real waffler? First [Bush] was pro-choice, then he was anti-choice," Kim responded.

After the debate, the floor was opened to the crowd for questions,

After the debate, the floor was opened to thecrowd for questions, which dealt largely witheconomic and social issues.

Participants were optimistic about theirrespective candidates' chances in the November 3election.

Chernack said that he was sure of a Clintonvictory. "I am thoroughly confident that GovernorClinton will carry the campus," he said.

But Michael believes that the Republicans canmake a strong showing at Harvard.

"Most people on campus haven't decided,"Michael said. "We can still change some minds."

After the debate, moderator Horowitz said hethought the debate had gone well.

"Both sides really performed admirably. Therewas no real winner," he said.

Panel members included Brian Ellison '95, fromThe Crimson, Amy Finkelstein '95, from TheIndependent and Benjamin Heller '93, from WHRBradio news