New Ball Of Carbon Will Be Marketed

By Nan Zheng, Contributing Reporter

A soccer ball named after a Harvard dropout and made from, and shaped like, a carbon molecule will be marketed in the United States beginning next month.

The new soccer ball has been dubbed "Fullerene C-60" as a tribute to the architect's innovative dome design. The late R. Buckminster Fuller, an eminent architect who was twice forced to leave the College, created the geodesic dome--which resembles both a soccer ball and a carbon molecule in shape.

The carbon molecule, which was discovered in liquid form in 1985 and in solid form in 1990, was named the "Buckyball," also in honor of Fuller. "It's named after him because of the similarityof his architectural structure," said Lowell D.Lamb, a member of the team that discovered thesolid form of Carbon 60 at the University ofArizona. "It's the third form of pure crystallinecarbon other than graphite and diamond."

William G. Reach, who describes himself as a"sports innovator," came up with the idea for theball. J. Patrick Hoey, director of corporate salesat Anaconda Sports Inc. in New York, said thisweek that his company has agreed to manufactureprototypes of soccer balls identified with Carbon60.

Hoey said the Fullerine C-60 soccer ball,manufactured in Pakistan, will be on the market bythe second week of November.

"We reached the decision after my discussionwith Mr. Reach and his father," Hoey said. "Webelieve that if there's any opportunity for kidsto learn more about science in a sport, it'sbetter for them and all of us."

Reach seems to have won at least one convert inHarvard men's soccer Head Coach Steve R. Locker.Locker said yesterday he was looking forward toseeing prototypes of the ball.

"I think it's very critical when you cancombine the high standards of academics and highstandards of sports together," Locker said.

Hoey said the carbon molecule and the soccerball, which is made of carbon, are closely relatedto one another--and to Fuller's architecturaldesign.

"I would describe it as a picture within apicture," Hoey said. "One must think of anartist's painting and within this painting thereis an inner image."

Reach, whose paternal grandfather invented themodern-day baseball and basketball, emphasized theimportance of the relationship in educating soccerplayers.

"The hope is to create a marriage betweenscience and sports so that when soccer players ofthe future see the ball's markings, they thinkbeyond the game to Buckminster Fuller," Reachsaid.

Reach said he hopes the ball will be used inthe 1994 World Cup soccer tournament.

"It's possible that we're going to take theFullerene soccer ball to the embassy of everycountry that qualifies for the finals," Reachsaid