Making a Difference In Public Service

PUBLIC SERVICE

By Ande Diaz, Office of Career Services

Thinking about a career in public service? Take advantage of the opportunities at this year's Career Forum.

Although many of the organizations that participate are for-profit companies, there will also be representatives of agencies working in public service related areas such as health (Dana Farber Institute), education (Independent School Association of Mass., Teach for America and World Teach), international development (Peace Corps), public interest research (MASSPIRG), and community development (VISTA).

The Career Forum can be useful in several ways: most commonly, the Forum is an arena to "feel out" prospects for jobs after graduation, or for term-time or summer internships. In addition, you may wish to find out more about the mission of a particular organization, or to ask the representative about other organizations in the same field. Consider the Forum a good opportunity to practice talking to professionals, asking questions, listening, finding out what they look for, presenting your resume - in short, interviewing without the stakes being too high. Keep in mind that many for-profit organizations have some sort of public service program often run out of a department called "Community Affairs". Inquire who would be the contact person for such a program. Consider the Forum to be part of your career research.

If you find that the Forum has only piqued your interest about "what's out there" - good. Stop by OCS and pick up a free copy of "Public Service Internships, Jobs & Careers: Work That Makes A Difference." Also, on April 10 plan on a road trip to the NEW YORK PUBLIC SERVICE CAREER DAY. This event, co-sponsored by Harvard, Radcliffe, and the other Seven Sibling schools, will feature representatives from some 70 domestic and international organizations with offices in and around New York City. Between now and then, browse the overview sheets, mission statements, and literature of over 400 public service organizations available in the OCS Resource Room. Read the OCS Newsletter regularly to keep up to date on opportunities and info meetings. Also feel free to make an appointment with Ande Diaz to discuss your ideas.