Union Workers Stage Protest

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

More than 100 members of the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers yesterday held a candlelight vigil outside the University administration's Mass. Hall headquarters, claiming strong support from students and from U.S. Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II.

A letter from Kennedy to Harvard workers, read at the vigil, called the current contract negotiations between Harvard and the union "unproductive." Kennedy praised the union as "a leading voice for working women everywhere," and saidhe supports the union in its negotiations.

More than 20 students attended the rally. AnnaC. Volinkaty '95 of the Harvard-Radcliffe LaborAlliance told the group, "There are thousands ofstudents on this campus who do not want Harvard toact anti-union."

After union President Donene M. Williams readKennedy's letter and other union and studentleaders spoke, the supporters marched around andaround Mass. Hall, singing, "We shall not bemoved."

The 3,600-member union's contract expired June30.

A large portion of the current contract talksis taking place with management and unionnegotiating teams cordoned off in separate rooms.A mediator goes back and forth between the sides,bearing questions, proposals and responses.

"I think it has been very slow," said VicePresident for Government, Community and PublicAffairs John H. Shattuck.

A source close to the process said it sometimestakes the management team hours to draft half of asentence on a minor, non-wage-related issue.

"We're pretty frustrated and disgusted rightnow," said union Chief Negotiator Bill Jaeger.

Shattuck said the biggest stumbling block hasbeen "the economic issue."

Shattuck said demonstrations like yesterday'sdo not annoy administrators or affect theUniversity's negotiating position. "It's all partof the process," he said