Ruptured Water Main Reddens Tap Water

By Evan P. Cucci, Contributing Reporter

Tainted, reddish brown and slimy, or none at all--these were the water options facing Harvard students and many other Cambridge residents yesterday morning.

From non-functional soda machines in Mather House to manganese showers in Matthews Hall, a water main break in East Cambridge reared its ugly head on campus in a wide variety of forms.

"The report [of the break] was called in to the water department at around 9:10 a.m.," said James M. Grene, treatment plant operator for the Cambridge Water Department. "We realize there is a lot of concern [about the safety of the water]."

But Grene emphasized that there is no realcause for alarm. The 12-inch line that ruptured onFifth and Bent Streets near Kendall Square wasshored up by early afternoon, and the water'sbrown tinge, resulting from manganese stirred upby the break, is not harmful.

"Basically, when there is a break of thismagnitude, a pressure front travels through thesystem stirring up sediment including manganese,"said Grene. Manganese occurs naturally in thesystem and is always present in tap water, thoughin smaller quantities.

The break affected hundreds of buildings oncampus according to the control department, buteveryone was not struck. Apparently Adams Housewas not nor was the Quad, and in some cases, suchas that of Straus Hall, only certain floors wereaffected.

"I understand that its not Harvard's fault,"said Aubrey J. Brath '95. It would have been niceif they told us though [before we took showers]."

Leverett House residents were warned not to usethe water at all, for showers or from drinkmachines.

"You like to think your shower water is cleanerthan you are," said Leverett resident Eric S. Witt'95.

"The whole city of Cambridge is affected, notjust Harvard," said Mark E. Remaly of the controldepartment.

The manganese is not harmful to drink, to bathein, or to cook with, but people are cautionedagainst washing their clothing in it as it canstain.

The water department is issuing free Red-B-Goneto persons whose clothing has been affected.

"This is certainly not a pressing issue withrespect to water quality," said Grene.

City Water Commissioner Nancy Barnes wasunavailable for comment yesterday