Vietnamese Students Organize Food Fest

By David B. Lat, Contributing Reporter

It was an evening devoted to food, folks, and fun--the Vietnamese way.

Over 160 people attended Harvard's first annual Vietnamese Cultural Food Festival, held in Quincy Dining Hall on Saturday evening. The assembly included members of Vietnamese student groups from 10 different area colleges, as well as other Harvard students.

For the dinner, students prepared 400 chagio, which are crispy Vietnamese egg rolls with ground pork inside. Also served were nuoc mam, a sweet and sour, somewhat spicy fish sauce, and banh cuon, which are soft, white flat noodles with Vietnamese ham, known as cha, placed on top.

After the dinner, dancers from the HarvardVietnamese Association Dance Troupe performed muanon la va ao dai, a traditional descriptive danceinvolving a customary hat and dresses.

The Harvard Vietnamese Association's FriendshipDinners of years past had included only Vietnamesestudents from Harvard, Wellesley and MIT,according to Dat P. Lu '95, who is president ofthe group.

This year's free dinner was attended bystudents from 10 schools and by non-Vietnamesemembers of the Harvard community, Lu said.

Lu said the purpose of the event was "to shareour culture with the Harvard community and topromote intercollegiate interaction amongVietnamese students