Harvard Nets Three Marshalls

Undergraduates Win At Least Two Free Years at Oxford

By John Tessitore, Contributing Reporter

Three Harvard students have been awarded the Marshall Scholarships, increasing the College's British contingent to nine.

Dan H. Barouch '93, Peter C. Nohrnberg '93 and Kannon K. Shanmugam '93 were awarded the scholarships in November, but the British Consulate only released the results yesterday.

All three Harvard Marshall scholars yesterday said they will join the six Rhodes' scholars named Monday to Oxford University.

The Marshall funds two to three years of continued study at a British university of the receipent's choosing.

"I went slightly crazy for 30 minutes and then my roommates and I hit the champagne pretty hard," said Shanmugam, a native of Lawrence, Kansas. "It's just starting to wear off."

Harvard and Stanford led the nation with three Marshall winners each. Thirty-six scholarships were awarded this year.

The selection process for the scholarship began with an essay round in which the University selected candidates to endorse. This was followed by a round of interviews in the British Consulate closest to the candidate's home state.

The final decision was made by interviewers who congregated in the British Embassy in Washington, D.C.

The winners all agreed that the hour-long interviews were the most difficult part.

"Undergoing the ordeal of the interview with a degree of composure definitely helps," said Nohrnberg, a resident of Adams House and president of the Harvard Advocate.

"An interview that I thought was a tragedy turned out to be a comedy," added the Charlottesville, Virginia native.

Shanmugam, editor-in-chief of the Independent, said that the inter-viewers asked specific academic questions, like "Why was the poet Ovid exiled?"

Barouch, head teaching fellow for fall semester Chemistry 10, "Accelerated Course: Foundations in Chemistry", said that having a focused future plan was very important in winning the award.

"Being strong academically, having a strong idea of what I will be doing at Oxford, being involved in campus activities, that's what they look for," said Barouch, a resident of North.

At Oxford, Nohrnberg plans to study English literature, Shanmugam will continue his study of the classics and Barouch will continue his biochemistry research.